cold smoke temperatures

Started by cathouse willy, March 19, 2011, 02:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I've been reading the recipe for triple smoked bacon from this forum. It sounds delicious. My question is how important is the 70 to 90 temp range.I can keep the smoke in range while applying smoke but what about the long periods of time between smoke.Will it hurt if the temp cools to below 50 during these times?
cheers
Bill

wyoduke

I put mine back in the fridge after each smoke and let the smoke soak in over night and then out for more smoke so on
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

La Quinta

I cold smoke the pork for 4 hours...wrap it up for a couple of days...cold smoke again...the same as Duke...I don't cook it in the bradley...I put it on a rack and sheet pan in the oven...

Habanero Smoker

The 70°F - 90°F is most critical when applying smoke; 50°F is alright but does not work as well as the other temperature range.

My preference; if you can maintain close to 70°F then leave it in the smoker when you are not applying smoke. The stated temperature range helps reduce the moisture in the meat, this is what concentrated the meat flavors. If you can't maintain that temperature in the cabinet, while in between smoking periods; my second preference is to leave it on the kitchen counter uncovered at room temperature on an inverted rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

Thanks all for the replies. I'd really like to leave it in the cabinet for the whole time.My present bradley propane is not very critter proof so I'm planning to upgrade to either the orig bradley or perhaps the digital one. That along with the cold smoke adaptor should set me up nicely for extended cold smokes.

Habanero Smoker

I see the problem you have. Bringing the bacon indoors and leaving it on the counter top at room temperature uncovered in between smokes will work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

Well fancy that. I went to canadian tire to see their display models this afternoon and by chance they happened to have the orig bradley on for $290 so I grabbed one Yee hah!! Triple smoke bacon here we come.They also have the digital bradley for $399.

Habanero Smoker

That is a good deal. I'm sure you will like the OBS.

I
         don't
                   inhale.