1st Tasso smoke!

Started by Shozzy, March 19, 2011, 04:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shozzy

I recently saw an episode of Diners, drive ins and dives and they cured the top inch of a pork loin to make tasso ham.  I had never heard of this before, i decided i was going to cure a pork belly for maple bacon & a loin for Canadian bacon but the loin was huge so i thought what the hell, I'll give tasso a try (I've never tasted it before).  So here is my first attempt at tasso!  I used the top inch of the loin as i figure I'm going to cut it into strips and i could use the bottom half of the monster for my Canadian bacon.  Did a basic dry cure of salt, sugar and cure #1 let it sit in the fridge for just over 24 hours, then used a dry rub i got off of this lovely forum!

Here it is rubbed and ready to hit the smoker!

It is in the smoker as I type! more photos to come and I'll get some of the bacon when its out of the fridge and ready for smoking too!

Tenpoint5

Looks and sounds like you got a good plan in the making along with some good eats!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wyoduke

I would love to see the end results  :o
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: wyoduke on March 19, 2011, 07:35:21 PM
I would love to see the end results  :o
Same here...any updates?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Shozzy

Well first tasso smoke was a success.  I have never tried tasso before and noticed most people on here were saying they dont like it by itself but i could have eaten it all!  Delicious!  I'm thinking i will try throwing some in split pea soup and keep some for sandwiches.  Will definitely be doing this again!!

Here's the results!

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

OU812

Outstanding!

Dice some of that bad boy up, it makes for a great omelet.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Shozzy on March 20, 2011, 02:01:07 PM... most people on here were saying they dont like it by itself but i could have eaten it all!

It's not that we don't like it by itself.  It's because "traditional" tasso is made from sliced pork shoulder (where a ton of rub is worked into pretty much every nook and cranny). You pretty much get a full mouthful of rub with every bite. The result is usually too spicy to eat by itself; that's why it's generally used to flavor other dishes.

You made what I would call a tasso-flavored pork loin; the denser texture and larger cut of the loin gives you a lower spice-to-meat ratio than with a slice of shoulder.  It looks like you've invented a "keeper."