Bradley Smoked Scotch Eggs

Started by muebe, March 21, 2011, 11:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

So I gave it a go on smoking some Scotch Eggs. First the hardboiled eggs were coated in smoked Hickory salt. Then I decided to use three different types of sausage. I made two maple scotch eggs rolled in dark brown sugar, two regular that were rolled in Pinch of Sizzle Kansas City Rub, and two spicy that were rolled in Billy Bob's Que Pork Butt Rub. I gave them 2 hours of Apple smoke. They were in the Bradley at 225F for 4 hours to a IT of 160F. I had two of them for lunch...the maple and the spicy. They were both excellent. The maple would be great for breakfast and the spicy for dinner. Looks like I have all three meals covered ;) I was going to try deep frying the maple ones in pancake batter to throw it over the top but just did not have enough time....maybe next time ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

jiggerjams

That is cool. Thanks for the pics.

irish_smoker

Nice work, did a "scotch egg fatty" last summer with some very good results.  Need to get the dipping sauce that the scottish place here in town uses to along with theirs or at least recreate it.

OU812

Them eggs look gooood.

I'll have a doz of the hot ones to go please.  ;D

Smokin Soon

Uncle Pigfat

oooh... Thanks.  Just found something to do this weekend.

TMB

Beautiful!  Even though I don't like boiled eggs these look great!     Maybe I should try them and use scrambled eggs
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

wthr_dude

Well yours looked so good I thought I would give it a go.  Unfortunately mine only lasted about 30 minutes in the smoker and all the sausage turned to grease and fell through the grates :(  Maybe if I try it again I wont skimp on the sausage, i just had store brand cheap stuff and it was awful eveything was coated in grease.

muebe

Quote from: wthr_dude on March 26, 2011, 11:07:34 AM
Well yours looked so good I thought I would give it a go.  Unfortunately mine only lasted about 30 minutes in the smoker and all the sausage turned to grease and fell through the grates :(  Maybe if I try it again I wont skimp on the sausage, i just had store brand cheap stuff and it was awful eveything was coated in grease.

Oh man sorry to hear that! Were you using frog mats or just the straight racks? I used a frog mat and that might be why yours did not stay together...or just the cheap sausage like you say ::)

I had also pre-heated the Bradley before putting them in...Did you pre-heat?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

wthr_dude

If i would have been thinking I would have used my jerky racks, but that sausage was so greasy i dont think it would have made any difference but you cant learn if you dont try!!

mikecorn.1

Well, don't know how I missed this but I'm glad you posted the link on another thread. Man those look great!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

Well never heard of a scotch egg before. Figured scotch would be involved. Now im all confused to what they are. A boiled egg wrapped in sausage im guessing. Either way those look like an excellent breakfast!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.