installing a light in my smoker

Started by neocostical, March 21, 2011, 07:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neocostical

I was wondering if anyone has installed a light in their smoker.  I was thinking about putting one in my proofer and wondering if it would be worth it or not..  A setup like a oven has or a tempered light like a sauna has..

Quarlow

I would think that the bulb would just get gummed up and you wouldn't be able to see with it anyway. I see a few guys got a magnetic lamp with a gooseneck and just set it on top of the smoker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

neocostical

yah, your probably right.  it sure would be nice though.  that's why I figured I would ask the experts.  thanks. 

Habanero Smoker

I know where you are coming from. Trying to check things, and rotate trays after dark can be difficult even with a outdoor light. I purchased a hat that has LED lamps built into the rim. The one I have has three settings; low, high and flashing. I don't use the flashing mode unless I want to relive the 60's. Prior to the hat I use to wear a head lamp. That gave better lighting, but the hat is easier to put on and take off. They also make lamps that will clip onto any baseball type of cap.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

neocostical

I was curious how clean those glass door proofers stay.  if I had to clean the lens every other time It would be worth it for me. it  seems like I am always taking stuff out of the smoker when it's dark out, especially in the winter.   those head lamps do work good, I'm just looking to make it a little easier. 

Friar_Tuck

I would not be without a light in mine!
It seems I am always out there in the dark fumbling.
I actually built mine with 3 lights, 2 on the exterior, and 1 inside the smoke chamber.
I used the lights that have the jar over the actual bulb.
I have yet to clean the jar off, and it is still providing great light.
You can see the outside 2 in this pic.

And here is a picture of the inside of the smokebox, before the roof went on.

Jim

Jim O

I don't know if I'd install a light inside the smoker,but I have a goose- neck light with a magnetic base,that I put to the side of the cabinet,and just turn it on when I need it.

Works for me !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

neocostical

that's what I was thinking about doing, putting the jars over them.  thanks for the info, I like the idea of the one on the outside.  great

Quarlow

Hey Habs, make sure you don't look up to the sky at night with those lights flashing. You might get a visit from the little green men. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on March 22, 2011, 05:22:51 PM
Hey Habs, make sure you don't look up to the sky at night with those lights flashing. You might get a visit from the little green men. :D :D :D

As long as they are patient enough to wait for some smoked food. I'm sure we can get along.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GlenHarris

Quote from: neocostical on March 21, 2011, 07:10:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has installed a led lighting in their smoker.  I was thinking about putting one in my proofer and wondering if it would be worth it or not..  A setup like a oven has or a tempered light like a sauna has..

Have you installed the light in smoker? I am thinking about it for some time but really worried to execute it.. Can you help me with your experience

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum GlenHarris. neocostical hasn't posted on the forum in over a year and a half.  His last activity on the forum was in October of last year.  If you want to inquire about his progress you might want to seek other ways in which to contact him.