My first smoke didn't come out as good...

Started by Brabus, September 14, 2005, 04:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Mike C.;
There are very few problems with drippings in the BS. It was designed very well. The V pan funnels all drippings into the water bowl. Just make sure you empty the water bowl, and refill with hot water periodically. Also, whenever possible, prevent the meat from touching the walls of the cabinet, or the dripping will run down the side of the wall. When this happens the V pan is unable to catch these dripping, but the bottom tray usually catches what the V pan misses.</font id="blue"></font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Amen.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Brabus

Unless I missed it I don't know what type of butt you want when you say it is not tender enough. Are you talking about slicing pork or pulled pork?

Somethings to consider:

1. Quality of meat.
All meats have to pass a USDA standard and when they do they get this stamp of approval:

<b>However,</b> grading of meat quality is voluntary! It is upon the processor to request grading. How to tell if meat has been graded is when you see one of these three stamps:

In short you can purchase, let's say a whole brisket that is package in the original cryopak and not have a grading stamp.  I have seen this myself. Normally the processor does not request a grading stamp when the animal is old or of a poor grade stock.

Now here is the problem with pork grading: Although there are USDA quality grades for pork, these do not carry through to the retail level as do the grades for other kinds of meat.  Personally I have always found this to be a strange deal as I can find out the grade of beef, but not of pork.

So what I've learned to do it purchase by brand. Plus to insure I get the best possible pork I always purchase my pork from a private meat market. The last thing a private meat market owner wants is to sell tough meats to his customers.  Then again on the other hand the supermarket meat manager hands are tied and what comes in is what he has to sell.

Up until last year we had a supermarket that was selling choice grade ibp meat. Then they went with excel select. There was no notice posted to the that fact. I'm sure it was a cost cutting factor made higher up in the food chain.

2. Now I dance to a different drummer when it comes to cooking pork. First I never allow my box to get hotter than 205 F. I normally cook my butts when I want slicing at 190 F. I remove them at 180 F. This takes time to get to that temp. Sometimes after the four hours of smoking I will wrap the butt up in a foil boat and finish the cook in the smoker as a slow cooker. Other times I T-shirt smoke them as in this picture. You will note how moist they look on the outside:

These where slicing pork and everything you could hope for.

3. Of course as stated controlling the box temp is important. What I do now is after the 4 hours of smokin' I move my box inside my garage. This helps control the direct factors of the outside, such as a cloud going by, wind, and the day getting hotter.

Now what I've posted here is not a do-all-fix. They are factor to give some consideration.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Brabus

Excellent thoughts old. Well right now I'm not too sure of the difference between sliced pork and pulled pork. I was trying to go for pulled pork and got a chunk of pork shoulder (picnic). I bought mine from costco so I don't believe there was a grade on there. I will try to look for an indy butcher around my area to get cuts from. Never even thought to look for different grades.

What is a t-shirt smoke? Those look great!! Not all black like the ones I had last night...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">pork shoulder (picnic). </font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hold the phone Martha.. hold the phone.

If there is anything that needs to be SLOW smoked it is a fresh picnic. That is a long ways away from a pork butt... When I was in the business 190 F was max for a fresh picnic. You get hotter and it will come out at times dry, rubbery or if too hot like shoe leather.

As to the T-shirt method.. this will be more information than you requested, but I suggest reading it more than once.. [:D]

Old's T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

Now this posting address cold smoking a ham but the idea works on fresh boston butts as my photos show. Instead of cold smoking as this shows set your box temp to 190 F. Other than that do as instructed. i.e. flip the butt over at the 4 hour mark.

Now I don't do a lot of rubs. Just simple salt and pepper. Yes there are times I do a heavy rub, but not when I want a great pork only favor to add to a sandwich.  These in the picture are for slicing--not so cooked to be pulled apart.  If that is what you want then continue your cook. However, again I suggest not above 205F--yes it will take longer but the meat cannot dry out at that cook temp.

And with that I'm sure your  check is in the mail...[:0]
That will be $5.00 please~~!  [^]
Olds

nsxbill

Brabus,

The recommendation to get a remote thermometer is a good one.  Regulating the temperature drove me nuts initially.  Now, after a big cash investment, I regulate the temp of the BS with a Procom4 and Raptor controller.  I can actually regulate both of my BS smokers at the same time if the load is comparable in each one. The Procom actually only controls the temp in one, but if the load is the same, it will actually keep the other pretty darn close.  I can visually see the temp of the meat in each smoker, and the cabinet temp of the primary smoker from up to 200 yards away.  It will also set an alarm to go off to tell me temp is reached, and if desired, shut the smoker(s) off.  You can see it at //www.thebbqguru.com.  To me, it makes the whole process trouble free.  I change out the water in the cabinets after 4 hours, rotate the shelves, and everything is automatic from there.  Many times, on long smokes I will rotate shelves every 4 hours, but hopefully, after I install convection like fans inside, won't even have to do that!

The Guru stuff isn't for everyone, but it fits my lifestyle, and I am so spoiled now, I would hate to go back to sliding that darn switch all the time to regulate temps.

Love it!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

Here is picture of one of the butts I did last in the smoker, about to come out after about 24hrs at 205°F.

<b>Click To Enlarge</b>

Here is  picture of the end result-tearing into one of them:

These were tumbled in my 25# capacity Hobart Commercial Marinator prior to smoking in a mixture of French's Mustart (16oz) and the rub mix du jour.  When they came out of the tumbler after about 30 minutes, I covered with Dizzy Pig Rub and smoked.  They were terrific!  Note, I emptied and refilled water after first 4 hrs of smoke, and additionally about 6 hrs later.  It was the only time I opened the smoker door until they were done.  I rotated the shelves on both occasions.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">These were tumbled in my 25# capacity Hobart Commercial Marinator<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Holy smokes martha....Yaooow now that a tumbler.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

The big tumbler was a must have for me.... I wanted to have it available when I start doing cases of skirt steak for jerky after I retire.  Want to take the show on the road with a knock down smoker that I can use at BBQ road shows as a vendor.  Pretty good money selling jerky in small packages..it goes for about $26 a pound, and would help with fuel costs for Prevost converted bus while the dog-and-pony-show is on the road.  I picked up this $4600 marinator for about $500 on Ebay, and spent about $200 more to refurbish it.  It is quite efficient on large batches, butts, etc.  I still like the Reveo for everyday use, however.

Here is what I want to travel in.  

Plan is to keep the smoker in a bay under the bus, as well as a BS for personal use.  A freezer will be mandatory, and will additionally offer the Reveo Marinators for sale (I'm an Eastman Outdoors Dealer)

Now just have to come up with the bucks for a 92-95 Bus conversion! [8D] [:D] [:D].  The price should be pretty good with people dumping them due to high cost of Diesel now.  I don't need the doo dads of the fancy new ones, and slideouts not necessary...I just want a basic bus conversion, Satellite PC connection, and Satellite TV.  Love those shiny sided Prevosts!

Bill

Brabus

Wow... i'm almost overwhelmed by all the info... definitely going to try that t-shirt style one day :) looks great!!

I'll try the boston butt next weekend and go for a slow cook for 190 and 24 hours :P

Brabus

Oh and speaking of the remote thermometer, I definitely want to get one. I'm not too sure which pieces I need. I've looked on the guru before. I'll take about look.

MallardWacker

Brab,

If you have a "Sports Academy" in town, they $15.95.  I have a couple of them.

Bill,

I must say you go big...on just about everything.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

Well I missed the whole dang thread and putting my .02 in [:(].  Not anything else I can think to say other than....

If you want the butt to cook faster you can cut it into 3-4 pieces thus creating less mass to cook in the smaller pieces.  Also injecting cuts down on cook time[;)].  Another benefit of using smaller pieces is, that means more bark in the end[:p][:p][:p][:p] and you can use several different rubs to fit everyones tastes[;)].  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Hey Bill,

Just in case fuel gets to high in cost here is one to consider:

On the other hand if you have a need for that 60's "Freedom Ride" this one would be more in-line:

Now given how you are going to have A LOT  of smoked food for sale and all of that extra weight this one with the dual front wheels might be the way to go~~!

Personally this last one I would like to know more about. All I could find out was it was made in 1943. Those extra front wheels are interesting.

Olds

nsxbill

I wonder if it was something a Mary Kay distributor would have used then? [:D] [:D]

Bill

MallardWacker

I guess I look at strange things because of my business, but take a look at those front axles on that pink beauty. Strange articulation.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas