Jans Rub ?

Started by LanduytG, June 02, 2014, 04:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

I'm going to make up some Jans for the first time. I was looking at it and was wondering if garlic powder(less amount) could be used instead of garlic salt. Also the same for the celery salt. The reason I ask is their is a lot of salt in this and I'm trying to cut down on it.

Greg

pjplovedog

Hi!
I do exactly what you are saying, I use powders instead of salt.  Just reduce the quantity a lot on the powder, because at least 1/2 of that is salt in the recipe. 
I have tweaked a similar rub, and even without the extra salts I find the rub to be salty enough. I add extra cayenne and  a little bit of high quality curry powder.  It is the secret ingredient in my rub.  Well, I guess not so secret now, is it?  LOL.  Everybody raves about it. 
I am supposed to keep a watch on my salt intake for health reasons.   ::) Otherwise I am sure it would be excellent as written.  :)
Good luck!
PJP

LanduytG

Quote from: pjplovedog on June 02, 2014, 05:04:12 PM
Hi!
I do exactly what you are saying, I use powders instead of salt.  Just reduce the quantity a lot on the powder, because at least 1/2 of that is salt in the recipe. 
I have tweaked a similar rub, and even without the extra salts I find the rub to be salty enough. I add extra cayenne and  a little bit of high quality curry powder.  It is the secret ingredient in my rub.  Well, I guess not so secret now, is it?  LOL.  Everybody raves about it. 
I am supposed to keep a watch on my salt intake for health reasons.   ::) Otherwise I am sure it would be excellent as written.  :)
Good luck!
PJP

What do you do for the celery? Use seed or is a powder available?

Greg

pjplovedog

The last batch I made I did a bit of celery seed. It turned out quite good.  If you object to seeds, maybe just reduce the celery salt down a bit?