Pastrami in the morning

Started by GusRobin, March 26, 2011, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Stocked up on Corned Beef when it was on sale for St Paddys so I thought I would make some pastrami tomoorw.

Took the corned beef out of the package, rinsed and soaked in cold water for about an hour.

Rubbed it with some CSM (cheap spicy mustard) and applied Habs' pastrami rub from the Forum recipe site.

Into the fridge to air dry overnight and into the smoker first thing in the morning (or first thing after I get out of bed.)
More to come tomorrow.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

I did the same on the corned beef Gus.  Got a nice rectangular flat.  I just rinsed, no soak.  I added additional peppercorns and yellow mustard seed to Hab's recipe.  I guess it came out good 'cause everyone loves it.

Looking forward to see how yours comes out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SouthernSmoked

Same here - can't wait to see more.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Mmmmmm...

I love the smell of Pastrami in the morning.

GusRobin

Pastrami's in the Bradley with 3 hours of hickory -- pics later
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

GusRobin

While waiting for the pastrami I decided to make lunch.
Sliced up some homemade kielbasa, sweet peppers, onions, added some chile powder, garlic, and EEVO and threw in a pan.

Put it on the plate with some spicy and regular mustard.(sorry for the blurry pic)

More pics when the pastrami is done.

ArnieM

Hmmmm.  Maybe I could stop by your place - for a couple of weeks.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GusRobin

Quote from: ArnieM on March 27, 2011, 02:20:07 PM
Hmmmm.  Maybe I could stop by your place - for a couple of weeks.  ;D
Anytime -- just bring the beer.

So I finished the pastrami and FM'd (foil and microwave) it for a couple of hours. Normally I would then wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. But we were too hungry to wait so I sliced it all. Forgot to take a pic before slicing.

Here it is sliced:

The wife made a sammie that looked good, but the peppers and onions I had for lunch got me thinking of something else. So I fried up some sweet peppers and onions. Mixed in some sliced pastrami. Then I took a smoked hardboiled egg, cut it up and added it to the mix.

Pic is before I added the egg. The wife said that the sammie was one of the best pastrami's that she has had. As for me, I think I found a new dish with the fried peppers, pastrami, and hardboiled egg.

Glad I stocked up with corned beef during the St paddys day sales as it becomes good pastrami without having to wait a week for curing a brisket.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah Gus - that looks awesome!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

OU812

Oh Ya!

That some good lookin eats.

Gonna give the pepper onion thing a shot, thanks for the idea.

KyNola

That is some good looking pastrami.  Looks to be very lean.  Nice work Gus.

OldHickory

Those dishes are works of culinary art.  Your own homemade kielbasa too!!!  Wow, good work Gus.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.