Pork Rib Roast. Can I use to make pulled pork?

Started by mike sawatsky, March 28, 2011, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike sawatsky

I am not sure what cut to use to make pulled pork.  I was at the store the other day and they had pork rib roasts on sale cheap so I bought one.  Can I use this for pulled pork and if so how long should it take?  Thank you for your help.

Mike
Bradley OBS
Little chief

Habanero Smoker

That cut is the part of the loin that is or was connected to the rib section (it can be bone-in or boneless). It is lean and not generally used for pulled pork, because it is too lean and will dry out. Down here in the states we use a cut called the butt section of the shoulder. It is sometimes called a shoulder butt roast or blade roast. Someone in Canada can stir you in the right direction on what cut they call it up there.

You can use the loin cut for pulled pork if you take it to a high enough internal temperature, but it will not have the same taste and texture as the butt. Also because it is so lean, you really need to add a sauce to moisten the cooked meat. That cut is better suited for smoking a small roast or Canadian bacon (back bacon).

Here is a link for pulled pork loin:
Pulled Pork Loin with Sauce

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

Habs gave you great information Mike. The pork butt that Habs refers to is called a pork shoulder blade roast or pork blade roast. If you have any Asian markets up there they they will be your cheapest option. If not I would recommend waiting for it to come on sale at Sobey's, Foodland, Fortino,s or Metro (or similar stores). When on sale it can be bought for $1.99 lb or cheaper. If you have Asian stores it can be purchased for an everyday price of 1.79 lb.

OU812

If it were me I'd rub that rib roast with your favorite rub and fire up the smoker to 250 F put the meat in and smoke with Hickory for 2 hr or so and pull out when the IT hits 145 F

Tent with some foil for 10 to 20 min, no need to FTC some thing that lean, slice and serve with your favorite side like some veggies and taters.

I'm just sayin

muebe

I would also give that thing a good brining for a few hours to give it some moisture before smoking ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DisplacedCoonass

Not for nothing, but I occasionally use a loin to do a "pulled-pork"esque sandwich as part of trying to diet.  I slice it thin and then chop it to shreds, toss with a bit of sauce and a homemade slaw.  It's not traditional, but it serves as a good substitute.