Oh Oh, SG on the Way Out?

Started by ArnieM, March 29, 2011, 11:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The meat has been sitting on the counter and the OBS is all warmed up.

Put in the meat, loaded pucks for 4 hours smoke and pressed the advance button.  Nothing.  No noise at all.

Checked the fuse, Ok.  Removed the SG and disassembled it.  During this time I verified the hot plate was hot (ouch!)

Cleaned out the chips and checked all wiring - good.  Reassembled the SG, put it back on the cabinet and cabled it up.

Pressed the advance button with no pucks.  It cycled.  Tried it again and it cycled again.

Loaded up the pucks and advanced two.  Then, nothing again on the third advance.  Removed a couple of pucks (don't really know why).  Pressed advance and it worked.

I baby sat it during the whole smoke time and it continued to work.  At this point, I really don't trust it.

Anyone run into anything similar?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I had kinda the same thing happen awhile ago and after doing every thing you did, well all but burn my self :D I took it apart and cleaned the micro switch really really good and hasn't had a hiccup sense.

Habanero Smoker

If I read your post correctly, it is advancing automatically every 20 minutes without any problems. It sounds like the only thing you have to do is to replace your manual advance button.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

There's a hunk of pork in the smoker right now.  I'll take it apart again tomorrow. 

I didn't want to spent a lot of time out there this morning.  It was 7 AM, 28o and I was in my bathrobe.  :P
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

I had mine going once and it was working fine. I put my 2 bubba pucks on top and it quit feeding. I removed it and put my other SG on to finish the smoke. I pulled it apart and cleaned the micro switch and it has worked fine ever since. I don't know why it did it cause the switch was pretty clean as it was.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Smokey the Bear.

Make sure that your pucks have not swelled with moisture and they are too fat to advance properly. Just trying to cover all the angles. :-X
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh