Best fish to smoke as a beginner?

Started by Brabus, September 15, 2005, 07:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brabus

I want to try fish this weekend. What's a good one to start off on?

nsxbill

Most have done salmon.  It comes out great.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

calatexmex

My vote is for Salmon. This is a picture of my first salmon smoke. Used Kummok's technique. I must smoke some more this week end as there is not a scrap left from last week end. [:(!] Heck, might as well smoke some oysters too [:p]

CLICK TO ENLARGE (IF YOU DARE) [}:)]

Mike C

Thunder Fish

If you can get Pink salmon,as they would be the cheapest (at least 1/4 to a 1/3) cheaper.Most people won't bother with them,I find they are the best type for smoking do to the extra oil's they have.
 Keep in mind fresh is best,frozen will give you a "mushey....or..moister" product.Smoked 3 Pinks last weekend and heading today hopefully out for 4 more out of the river [;)] [:)] [;)]
Terry

Brabus

Hmmm, must look into some recipes...

So it's a lower temp for a short time right? Do I need a special net so it doesn't fall apart?

Thunder Fish

Nothing special,no net required just a slightly oiler moisture fish,less chance ofturning it to jerky

tsquared

Actually, pink salmon have less oil than springs or sockeye but more than chum.
T2

Thunder Fish

Not trying to start a "rant" just that I have noticed more oil in the jars when I used to home can them than other types of salmon.1 reason I stopped home canning them and keeping them for the smoker,like the 4 I'm going for today ,if silver enough [:X] [:X] [:X]

Thunder Fish

bighoof

JJC

I've had great luck with kings.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

The King is called "King" for good reason!! Nothing better in my book....and ONLY "Feeder King", direct from BC [;)]

Notwithstanding the above, I certainly recognize that everyone's tastes are different. That being said, my personal rating system for taste (from mild to full flavor) and oil (from dry to dripping) would be highest to lowest:

1-Feeder Kings                               [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
2-Reds (a pretty close second)        [:p][:p][:p][:p] 1/2
3-Silvers                                         [:p][:p][:p]
4-Pinks                                           [:p][:p][:p], if canned       [:p][:p], not canned

892- Farmed Atlantic                      [:p][:p] Taste   [:p] Texture [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(] Everything about the "fishery"

Those that know me, know that I couldn't say ANYTHING about salmon without recommending AGAINST farmed salmon. While I realize that it's all that's available in many areas, I personally would rather go without smoked salmon than purchase farmed salmon.....nothing to do with texture/flavor, everything to do with supporting the Wild Salmon fisheries. I won't rant here, but those interested in the "whys" can do a search for "farmed" or "Atlantic" salmon threads elsewhere on this forum and see why, IMO, the farmed salmon is the "Soylent Green" of the seafoods [xx(][xx(]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

oguard

As they say wild salmon don't do steroids.[:D][}:)][}:)][:D]

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and ONLY "Feeder King", direct from BC
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> That Kummok is a bad boy, isn't he!? [:D] Those damn British and that Alaskan panhandle decision.[;)]
I caught a lot of "white" springs (kings) this year--look the same as regular springs until you cut them open--their flesh is white. I don't know whether they are a different subspecies or their diet is different. I've heard both as explanations. Anyway, I know they taste great doing the Bad Boy's strips as well as on the BBQ. I do like red springs for lox, tho.
T2

Kummok

Yo, T2......Those white Kings are NASTY, even poison I believe. [xx(][xx(] Next time you catch one, just pat 'em on the tail and point him North. I'll PROPERLY dispose of all you send this way[;)][;)][:D]

P.S.
If you've already read your other thread on white Kings ([:p][:p]), you'll KNOW I'm lying through my teeth....if not, ignore it and just send those nasty ol' whites up this way[;)]

P.P.S.
Salmon is actually a white-flesh fish. The natural orange color of salmon results from carotenoids, (astaxanthin...an antioxidant), in the fish flesh. Wild salmon get these carotenoids from eating krill, shrimp, and other tiny shellfish. Fortunately for those of us that LOVE it, some king salmon can't absorb astaxanthin, hence the "white King"! [:p][:p]

A well-done article on this @ http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2005_2nd/Jun05_WhiteKing.html    BUT, I wish this "secret" would stop getting the publicity! [}:)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA