Dry Brined Smoked Salmon

Started by MWS, September 15, 2005, 02:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I have a couple of pink salmons I plan on smoking this weekend. I've been doing a little reading on the subject of dry brining and thought I would give this method a try. I like the idea that the dry brine removes moisture from the fish before smoking because I like a drier product. Has anyone got any dry brine recipes, hints, tips or methods they would like to share? Appreciate it folks....

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

whitetailfan

If you like, try a small batch of my <font color="red">Flatlander Cold Smoked Salmon</font id="red">
I have done it twice now and I really like the finished product.  My buddy just got back from the west coast and has trusted me with several pieces to process for him.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=555&SearchTerms=lox Here's a link for dry cured lox that I've made many times. I've used it on spring, coho and sockeye but have never used it on pink salmon before.
T2

MWS

Thanks for the reply guys... Hey Tom, I was hoping you would see this. I figured you could set me up with some good ideas, being the go to guy for salmon advice.  thanks

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

tsquared

Hey Mike--You'll be exploring new territory if you use the dry cure for pinks. I don't know if they have enough oil in their flesh to come out with a good result or not. I threw a couple of fillets of pink salmon in with a batch of white spring strips that I was doing with Kummok's recipe and they turned out great--fairly dry--which you say you like. You might give it a try. Let me know which way you go and how it turns out.
Tom

MWS

Well Tom, I have them in the dry cure right now. I have 2 pinks covered in a 1 cup salt - 3 cup brown sugar brine. At the 2 hour mark I've already seen a lot of liquid being pulled from the fish. I'll let you know how it turns out.

-John Wayne

Mike 

tsquared

So Mike--how did the dry cure pink salmon go?
Tom

MWS

It worked out great. I like how it drew out the moisture. The pinks took a lot less time to reach my prefered dry texture.

-John Wayne

Mike