Best fish to smoke as a beginner?

Started by Brabus, September 15, 2005, 07:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoof

Kummok, do think that your brine would work well for albacore? I love it for salmon. I just went on a tuna trip and have some that I want to smoke, I think I'll try yours and the Bradley one.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Salmon is actually a white-flesh fish. The natural orange color of salmon results from carotenoids, (astaxanthin...an antioxidant), in the fish flesh. Wild salmon get these carotenoids from eating krill, shrimp, and other tiny shellfish.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> That makes sense. I caught a 15 lb spring(king) on Saturday that was partly white and partly orange. It looked like it's feed had changed and the colour was following suit.
T2

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bighoof</i>
<br />Kummok, do think that your brine would work well for albacore? I love it for salmon. I just went on a tuna trip and have some that I want to smoke, I think I'll try yours and the Bradley one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Haven't used it for anything but salmon, Bighoof. Try this thread... http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=167&SearchTerms=tuna ... It has some tuna suggestions and even some photos from Fuzz ..... [:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br /> .... I caught a 15 lb spring(king) on Saturday that was partly white and partly orange. It looked like it's feed had changed and the colour was following suit.
T2

The "normal" salmon start out white, get the color fom saltwater diet, then lose the coloring again as they leave their sea diet. The color transfers from the meat outward to the skin in the fresh water....that's why they're such bright reddish colors when spawning.

How'd they get the name "spring" down there??

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How'd they get the name "spring" down there??

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> You know, I don't have a clue. The other word that gets used for kings down here is chinook--which comes from the coast Salish(First nations)word. A phonetic way to say it is more like shtaynook, deemphasizing the final /k/ sound.
T2

bighoof

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How'd they get the name "spring" down there??

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> You know, I don't have a clue. The other word that gets used for kings down here is chinook--which comes from the coast Salish(First nations)word. A phonetic way to say it is more like shtaynook, deemphasizing the final /k/ sound.
T2

Cool! No confusing our Tlinget word for Kings.... "T'a'"   You can hear it spoken at: http://www.sealaskaheritage.org/flash/Fish_Flash/Fish_revised_2.swf

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

SoupGuy

I'm sure an ocean fisherman would put down Great Lakes Salmon (well, maybe not), but we call Chinook Salmon 'King Salmon'... one and the same.

The kings here in Lake Michigan will run up to 40 or more pounds in fall in or near the rivers. An average fall fish is always over 20 pounds.

And they say we were cursed by the alewive fish that came in on a Russian freighter! These little boogars feed our fresh water Salmon VERY WELL. A stocked COHO can go from 1 LB to 8 in two years. Brown trout and steelhead even larger.

King salmon are fun as hell to catch. Steelhead (trout) a bit more fun, but the King rules on TASTE!

tsquared

Sounds like a great fishery, Soup Nazi. I'd love to try it sometime. I'm off today after work for a weekend chasing coho. Big coho. There was a 31 lb coho weighed in this week where I'm going, which is only a few lbs off the world record.[:)]
T2

oguard

T2 thats a huge coho.I can just imagine that fight.No idea where the name spring comes from will have to do some research.Have also caught some white springs.They seem more abundant some years more than others.Also better for smoking.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Thunder Fish

Tsquared do you live on Vancouver Island?

tsquared

I do indeed live on Vancouver Island. Back from my weekend coho trip to Port Renfrew. The 31 lb coho story turned out to be just that, a story.Largest coho this year was 24 lbs.  Biggest we caught for the weekend was 14 lbs. The winner of the derby ($15,000 first prize) was a 19 lb 4 oz coho. Weather was miserable on Sunday, with a southeast blowing cold rain and chop on top of a big swell from the west. On the other hand, we ate Dungeness crab and coho till it was coming out of our ears, drank far too much single malt and IPA and told lots of lies. A good weekend and a fitting end to the summer fishing season.
T2

MWS

<br /> drank far too much single malt and <b><font color="red">IPA</font id="red"></b> and told lots of lies.T2

Victoria is a great place for sampling fine ales (IPA's to be exact). When I'm in Victria I always stay at Swans. Great accomodation, great ales and great Jazz. Spinnakers is also a favorite brewpub of mine. Excellent ale and food. I'm just enjoying a hophead IPA as I type. good stuff.[:D] I know, it's off your topic Tom, but I saw IPA and had to comment.[;)]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

tsquared

I don't think you're off topic, Mike--good beer is always a welcome discussion. Have you tried the Beacon IPA made by Lighthouse Brewery here in Victoria? It's excellent too.
T2

MWS

I tried a pint of Beacon IPA in Nanaimo recently. Very nice. I'm lucky to have a local micro in Chilliwack called the Old Yale Brewing company. Their Sargents IPA won the award for best IPA in Canada in 2004. Needless to say I keep a good supply of it in the fridge. They do sell it in the liquor stores so keep an eye open for it. It's excellent. I'm going to visit them tommorrow to pick up a mini keg for the long weekend coming up.[:p]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"