Candied Salmon Extravaganzas

Started by shane m, January 01, 2011, 06:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

After my smoked salmon has cooled, I vac seal and freeze.  Lasts for months if you can hide it that long.
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

Quarlow

HAHAHA  HAHA he said leftovers hahaha You won't have any. But if for some strange reason you do, just put it in a ziplock and throw it in the fridge. It keeps in the fridge well. Oh and don't forget to chop some up finely and mix it with spreadable cream cheese. Then watch it vanish.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

howlin

mine barely lasts from the smoker to the fridge.good stuff but yep ,pricey
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

ronmexico

Quote from: lumpy on January 02, 2011, 07:37:45 AM
Here is my recipe that has my friends drooling for more.

SALMON CANDY

4.5 L cold water
1.5 cups of soy sauce
1 cup Kosher salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 tb garlic power
1.5 tb cayenne pepper (optional)
2 cups maple syrup

marinate in fridge for 24 hours

drain liquid and let dry off
put in ziplock with 1 cup maple syrup and toss for several minutes
glaze for 4 hours with fan on salmon strips

in smoker with 8 pucks of apple
120F for 2 hours
140F for 3 hours
175F for 1-3 hours until done

let cool
vacuum pack and freeze

As we speak, i have a fillet marinating in 'Lumpys' marinade. Just a question though as im new to the OBS. Im going to try maple and alder as opposed to apple - anyone have anyone have any thoughts on this??
Also, Lumpys cooking time requires alot of attention and time IMO. Anyone have any other opinions?  I see Shane did his at 200, but thats a little high. Thinking about splitting the difference and going 150 for 3 hours. How do you know when its done? Any tips.....
Going to leave the skin on my salmon and place directly on rack (skin down of course), no cookie sheet.
How many pucks should i go with? I see Lumpy used 8 - is that alot of smoke? Is 8 including the two wasted for pushing? 
Again, going to alternate with maple and alder - but maybe i will throw one apple in there also....

Thanks guys - this is my first post after getting the OBS two weeks ago. This thing is awesome !!

Tenpoint5

Ron,
You will want to cook/smoke your salmon at the lower temp for longer times. This is to prevent the "White Buggers" or congealed fats on top of your salmon.
Welcome Aboard 
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RossP

Hi Ron and welcome to the forum. I use eight bisquettes of Maple. The wife likes maple over alder. She likes it with eight not nine and not seven. We have tried with apple also and she likes apple also but mape is her favorite. I just eat what I am told to eat ;) and smoke salmon how SWMBO likes it.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Smokeville

I love maple on almost everything!

Oak works well too.

Rich

ronmexico

Thanks guys. Okay, i will smoke 'slow-and-low' as per Lumpys recipe. Just alot more messin around, but if it means awesome salmon, im all for it.
Will stick with the maple and maybe will throw in one puck of each apple and alder in the mix just to experiment.

ronmexico

Oh, also i assume i leave the top vent wide open?  Is this standard when smoking anything??
Also, when people talk about temps, are they reffering to the temp on the front of the OBS, or their digital thermometer?  I have a digital with a probe and drop it through my vent and the OBS and thermo are off by about 15 degree's or so.....
Thanks in advance.

ronmexico

Well the candied salmon is pretty good after the test run. Some things i would change:

I would use less salt. The soy sauce and the call for extra salt are a little too much. Otherwise the recipe is Great ! 
I used 8 pucks total and smoked for 2 hours. I would like a little more smoke - and im a newbie! Going to try 10 pucks next time.
I put in a whole fillet with skin on. I think next time, im going to remove the skin and break salmon into little chunks/nuggets a little bigger than a dice but smaller than a matchbook. I LOVED the candied exterior of the salmon, but because i filleted there wasnt much surface area to get truly 'candied'.
I dont crazy over salmon like some people. It sometimes gets a little 'fishy' for me. Especially the outer portion that touched the skin. Removing the skin should help with the 'fishy' taste IMO.

I hope this post and my experiment can help others as i have been helped here on this forum.
Also, im sharing some of my 'bounty' with a fellow OBS-Men who i will see later on today. He got me into the OBS and this is what its all about!
Thanks to those who helped me out.

;D

steve-o

Quote from: ronmexico on April 02, 2011, 08:28:18 AM
Oh, also i assume i leave the top vent wide open?  Is this standard when smoking anything??
Also, when people talk about temps, are they reffering to the temp on the front of the OBS, or their digital thermometer?  I have a digital with a probe and drop it through my vent and the OBS and thermo are off by about 15 degree's or so.....
Thanks in advance.
I think the vent is usually 3/4 to fully opened usually. I leave mine full open almost all the time, not sure about the pros though. And as far as temperature go with the probe as it will give you more of an accurate reading, and keep the probe below what you are smoking(or on lowest rack)