another stupid salmon question

Started by laserdoc, April 02, 2011, 03:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserdoc

I left my fillet in the brine overnight and am using muebe's recipe,more or less except for the hickory salt.
I do not have a PID like most of you all but just the regular one with the slider control. I understand about starting out at 100-120 degrees then rising the temp up during the 8 hours. My question is at the low temp 100 to 120 will my wood pucks burn and start smoking??[/b]Or will they only start burning at a higher temp?? Should I smoke the first 3 hours then the remaining 5 hours at the higher heat no smoke. Or does someone suggest a different technique with the temps,smoke and times. 

Smokeville

Hi Laserdoc;

The plate under the puck has it's own element to burn the pucks that is not controlled by the slider. So, the pucks will burn even if the main smoker slider is off.

The times from Kummoks recipe are fine. If you have a small load of salmon, I would go for the shorter times like 2-2-2.

Have fun!

Pictures please!

Rich

3rensho

I'm assuming from the question that you'll be hot smoking.  Cabinet temp has nothing to do with the pucks burning.  There is a burner plate on the smoke generator that provides the heat for the puck burning.  I cold smoke at 60F and the pucks burn just fine in my cardboard box cold smoke adapter.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

laserdoc

ahhhhhh I see said the blind man.
I told you it was a stupid question!!!
Thanks guys!!!
Now to get this other question right
2-2-2 is 2 hours smoke 2 hours without smoke and at 200 box temp.....right?

laserdoc

Got the fish on the smoker. One thing I do notice is that with the slider control all the way off the box temp is still at 120 to 130.
So getting that starting temp of 110,,,,,can not do

steve-o

Quote from: laserdoc on April 02, 2011, 10:41:13 AM
Got the fish on the smoker. One thing I do notice is that with the slider control all the way off the box temp is still at 120 to 130.
So getting that starting temp of 110,,,,,can not do

The gauge on the OBS isn't very accurate, but if its too hot in there you can crack open the door a bit and that will drop the temp for you. But I am sure if its a little on the hot side it will still come out great.

Patsplace

Make sure that the vent on the top of the smoker is open a bit (1/8" to 1/4") and you should notice a fairly dramatic drop in the temperature when you put the cold salmon into the pre-heated OBS. 120 degrees for the 2 hrs. of smoke will work like a hot damn. You're going to love the finished product. Very good food!!!
I feel much better since I started smoking.

laserdoc

yep it all turned out great!! I do have a digital temp unit that does both the food and the cabinet temp. When the pucks stopped burning then the temp dropped down to the low 100's. With the pucks burning the temp was 120 to 130 with the cabinet burner turned off. I then raised the temp to about 140ish for about 3 hours then up to about 160 ish for about 2 hours. Probably could have gone an hour less. The temp of the salmon when I pulled it was 156. Should had been 140.
First time and it still turned out great!!!. Even with the up down temps.
Guess it is really hard to mess it up.
Second time around will be the charm!!

muebe

Laserdoc glad it turned out good! I am assuming you used the Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade for your Salmon. That marinade is great for pretty much everything. I just made some jerky nuggets using it with cure#1 and they were fantastic ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

laserdoc

yep ran down to Costco on friday to pick some up. They changed the bottle it came in but I found it.