country style ribs on sale

Started by EZ Smoker, April 01, 2011, 01:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

got about 8 lbs of country style ribs at 0.99/lb today.   Might go get another 8 lbs tomorrow morning.  Got a rub picked out, but I don't know how to smoke 'em.    They're cut from the butt part of the pork shoulder, so should I cook 'em like a butt?   Or does the fact that they're cut make them cook differently?  How long should I plan for?   Should I cook to a specific IT?   Any other advice?   

Thanks.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Habanero Smoker

If they are true country style ribs, they come from the section of meat that joins the loin to the shoulder. Sometimes I have gotten so-called country ribs cut further into the butt, which required longer cooking time. I use the same method of cooking for either. Other times I have seen so-called country ribs that were center cut of the loin. That is just a pork chop cut in a different manner.

I find it best to cook them like baby backs - I don't foil but I use a temperature of 212°F, and depending if they are bone-in or boneless I cook for about 5 - 6 hours; if they are cut thin I begin to check them at 4 hours.  I don't go by an IT; I use a toothpick to test for doneness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I did some last summer.   3-2-1, similar to baby backs.  These were big meaty things, so I let them go the whole 6 hours.

beefmann

id smoke with a 321 for 3 hours and cook at 225 for  6 hours

EZ Smoker

Thanks for the help.  We put the ribs in the smoker around 12:30, hoping they'll be ready for dinner.   Used Grub Rub.   I'll let you know how they come out.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.