Homemade Hot Sauce

Started by Tenpoint5, April 02, 2011, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

The ingredients

All chopped and in the pot. I ended up only using one of the onions since the things where as big as softballs.

A boiling away in the vinegar

After hitting everything with a boat motor and pushing through a screen sieve.

All Bottled up and cooling. Will stick in the fridge after they cool if the tops don't suck down. (stacked for the picture only)

Yes I am being vague as to the amounts. It's a Secret Reciept!!! For now anyhow I have to wait until tomorrow to find out how it tastes.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Looks very interesting Chris!  ;)

Can't wait to hear the taste test.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SoCalBuilder

Hmmm? Are those yams in the middle of the ingredient pic? I'll be interested in how it turned out. I'd never have thought of a yam as an ingredient ???

MidKnightRider

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on April 02, 2011, 09:15:32 PM
Hmmm? Are those yams in the middle of the ingredient pic? I'll be interested in how it turned out. I'd never have thought of a yam as an ingredient ???

I was thinking the same thing.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

I think they're sweet potatoes but the question on using it as an ingredient still goes.  Chris, I thought you were going to use habaneros  ???
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

Looks interesting but I am pretty sure it will not be hot. Six penos just ain't gonna get it done.  ??? :)

Tenpoint5

I would have used Habenaros but the grocery store only had Jalapenos. Yes they are yams I wanted sweets but this is all they had. I know the 7 jalapenos really won't put a bunch of heat in there. I was just looking for a nice flavor and a touch of heat in this experiment. I will go for the heat and make some other adjustments when I make the next batch. Just getting a baseline.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

A friend of mine made hot sauce but he made a mash out of the peppers and fermented/aged them first, then made the sauce. Man what a difference that made. I made some myself without the fermentation and it was never as good as the way he made it. Basically you are following the method as making sauerkraut but using peppers, it takes a while but its so good. He also did cauliflower with hot peppers and they were great also. He said you can pickle any veg this way. You have to be careful when sampling his stuff, he is a real pepperhead and love things super hot.

seemore

bears fan

Make sure you dont get them jars mixed up with real baby food jars!  That would make for one angry baby.

steve-o

Quote from: bears fan on April 03, 2011, 08:14:21 AM
Make sure you dont get them jars mixed up with real baby food jars!  That would make for one angry baby.

Hehe that's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture of the jars.

Tenpoint5

Well I tried it this morning for breakfast. I was making egg/cheese burritos for the kids. It wasn't bad. There is a nice sweetness to it then it it followed by a very soft heat. This would be a good hot sauce for the beginner. I think this would go really well over some pork chops or pork loin. Like I said before it is more like a bbq sauce than a liquid hot sauce. It just came to me it has the consistency of applesauce.

Here is my breakfast burrito with the sauce and some Gun Powder seasoning on it.

wyoduke

I will put this on the todo list looks great Chris
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

SouthernSmoked

Sounds Good Chris...

May have to give this a try!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little