buckboard bacon

Started by ruffinit, April 13, 2004, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffinit

ok i'm hooked.i ordered cure mix after all the good things i read about mix on the forums. sounds like i'll have another smoker favorite.thanks all for the info.

mike

MallardWacker

Don't worry you won't waiste your money.  It took me off guard making bacon and having it come out so well. Have fun and keep us informed

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Richard Pearce

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">You won't be sorry; sometimes I have 2 cures going in the downstairs fridge at once!
btw: I keep mine in the cure for 16 to 20 days, and I rinse for at least 2 or 3 hours after the wash at the end of the cure[^]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

MallardWacker

Richard,

Are you doing any variations in cure type or cuts of meat?  My last batch I did with maple sugar cure and maple smoke with loin cuts.  Can't complain, came out great, best batch yet,

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Pearce</i>
<br /><font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">I rinse for at least 2 or 3 hours after the wash at the end of the cure[^]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What to you mean rinse for 2 hours. As in running water over them for 2 hours? Or soaking them and changing out the water a few times over a 2 hour period?

Thanks
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

Richard I found a place out near Burlington that has just about everything you need. CHEAP. They even sell pea meal bacon cure. $6.00 for enough to due about 100 lbs of loin. The web site is www.malabarsuperspice.com
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

ruffinit

good question olds.i'm thinking rinse in bucket of water for an hour then change water and soak another hour?where did you get the maple cure mallard?that sounds really good,i didn't notice on hi mountain site ,but mite have missed it.

mike

Bassman

Just got back from being out of town for a few days and when I got home my BB cure was waiting for me.I'll be getting 2 pork butts soon.I was reading the directions that came with it and they say soak the meat for 1-2 hours and then drain it and rinse with fresh water.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

Olds,

I have been very sucessful by: first rinsing completely several times, then I soak them for about two to three hours in a container and do a simple rinse when I pull them out of the container.  Then pat them dry and let them set at room temp for about an hour.  If I want to roll them in pepper I do it at this time.  I think the key is not the soaking but the rinse job you give it before you soak it.  Well, everyone keep that bacon coming.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

Finally: after participating for the last month and a half while I built my smoker, I finally got her up and running and smoked my first batch of buckboard bacon. WOW, the smoker performed great, temp control was easy and the end product FABULOUS. However I think the buckboard bacon tastes more like ham than bacon but it's great. The wifes familly happened to be over for a visit, good thing I smoked 4 of them. I even took pictures of the whole operation as a momento.
Thanks for everyones help over the past month or so,
Can't wait for next weekend.

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Bassman

Snapper, Did you follow the directions that came with the BB cure or did you modify it? I'll be starting a cure on 2 pork butts by the end of the week.

Jack

Bassman

I have a question for all you experienced bacon people. This is my first attempt at bacon.I have 2 butts curing in a big plastic bowl with Buckboard cure. It's only been 2 days and there is alot of fluid and or jucies accumilating in the bottom of the bowl. Is this normal? Should it be drained off?

Jack

MallardWacker

Bassman,

Good work, you know it's working.  There will be (seems) to be alot of fluid, i was advised to keep the fluid in there.  I think it almost acts like a brine.  I have had NO problem keeping the fluid in the containers.  Remember to turn your meat about half way through the process.  

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Bassman

Thanks MallardWacker,

I'll leave it in. Whats with the hell freezing over?

May your ducks be plentiful![:)]

Jack