buckboard bacon

Started by ruffinit, April 13, 2004, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

Jack,

It's what my wife says when I don't clean up after my self when I use the smoker.  Ah maybe not, great wife here, any women that puts up with 25+ days of duck hunting a year, I better not be complaining....However buying the Bradley, it's one hobby she NEVER complains about.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ruffinit

hello all.i need a little help here.i ordered bbb cure from hi mountain on the 12th,still have'nt got it [:(!].i ordered from butcher and packer and got the maple sugar cure right away.anyway no directions on package,so my question is how much do i use for an 8# and five # butt? do i sprinkle on,rub on[?]

mike

Oldman

ruffinit I cannot help you with this question. However I order from Hi Mountain on the 16th and its UPS tracking has it being delieved here the 26th. Did you get a tracking number?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ruffinit

hi olds.no trackin number.they shipped 1st class postal[:(!][xx(].i don't think they gave me an option for shipping,if they did i would have went u.p.s.,i've had good luck with them.lesson learned[:(].

mike

Bassman

Mike,
I don't know about the Maple cure. But the Buckboard directions say to use 16 ounces of cure for 25 pounds of meat.Or 1 tablespoon plus 1 and a quarter teaspoon per pound.Hope this gives you some kind of guide line.

I had my BB cure in 5 days,I would call them.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

ruffinit

thanks jack.now do i just rub on meat,or shake on[?]

mike

ruffinit

well bman,i'm takin your advice and using one tbl.spoon plus one tsp.of maple cure,goin to cure for twenty days,i'll post how they come out.i did a 8# and a 5# butt.still have'nt got my bbb cure from high mountain.called em they said it should get here in ten business days[?]ordered on the 12th.--it happens i guess,sure don't make me glad i ordered from them tho,hope its just a one time disapointment.thanks again for info!

mike

MallardWacker

Mike,

I have used the maple cure you are using.  I beleive if you look on there web site from the page you ordered it from it tells you how much to use  one half pound per 25 lbs of meat.  I was surprised to see that it is about half of what BB tells you to use.  I used as directions plus just a bit more and it came out quite desireable.  The meat come out nice and tight and after smoking the color was the nice pink cured apperance.  HTH and keep us informed.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Bassman

Mike,
I rubbed it real good in every nook and cranny.After removing the bone from the Butts I even rubbed cure in the pocket.Today is 5 days and time to flip them. I will only cure 10 days this time.I want to follow the directions because it's my first time. Next time I will make variations.They will be ready to smoke by the weekend. I'll post the results.

Jack

MallardWacker

Jack,

Sounds Good.  When you go to rinse it off, clean it "in every nook and cranny" just like you rubbed it in.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

ruffinit

thanks mw,bman.i think i messed up,i put four tbs.more cure on than called for,did an 8#,and 5#.maybe fix with longer rinse?less cure time?i was goin for 20 days.i've had in for two days now.what ya think guys?can i save my butts[B)]

mike

Bassman

Mike,
I wouldn't be concerned about it. Better to much than not enough. I would think if you rinse them real good you will be fine.[:)]
Good Luck!

Jack

Oldman

Well my stuff came in yesterday. I will be doing the BBB as soon as I bone the butt. Only going to do one at this time. Going to cure it at least 20 days. I may just for chits and giggles go 30 days.

Instead of placing it in a bowl I'm going to double zip lock it with two quality freeser bags. I believe this will allow more of the juices to touch the meat as they are formed. From what I have read these juices are most important and need to cover the meat as much as possible.

I will advise as it goes along.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ruffinit

thanks jack,i did'nt want to mess up my first ones.no doubt i will rinse real good.got a long wait,only day 3 in cure.

mike

ruffinit

by the way,i called hi mountain about not getting my cure mix,they will send tommorow as it was too late when i called after work today.UPS this time,plus some freebies [:D] takes some o the sting away.i know it happens,but... hope it don't again!

mike