buckboard bacon

Started by ruffinit, April 13, 2004, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper39

Olds I used a zip lock and it worked out great. Seems alot easier to control to juice and it saved some room in the Mrs's fridge. Don't know if I'd go much past the 20 day mark, it might take on to much salt, Let us know how you make out.
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

trout

Mike, as to your question about too much cure:  If the cure is mixed into the meat (sausage cure), then it is very important to measure correctly.  Too much sodium nitrate is not a healthy thing.  But you can think of a rub like you would a brine.  As long as there is at least enough to cover the meat you are all right (whether you soak a turkey in 2 gallons of brine or 5 gallons, it is still only going to absorb so much per day.  And as I believe Olds had brought up once, a rub is just something that pulls the juice from the meat to create its own brine.  So I wouldn't think it would be any saltier after a good rinse either.[:)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

ruffinit

thanks trout.guess i was just abit nervous ,first time curin a butt.i'm just gonna sit back and wait on day 20.16 more to go.[:p]

mike

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snapper39</i>
<br /> The web site is www.malabarsuperspice.com
Snap

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">Thanks Snapper, I'll readjust my trip to Niagara next week and call on them; I suppose I should take a credit card!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Bassman

Fellow Smokers, These Butts are smoking as I type this.1 7lb and 1 5lb. the 5lb butt is peppered.They were cured with HI Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure for 10 days. I rinsed them and then soaked them in water for 1hr. rinsed again and soaked in clean water for another hr. I will have bacon in 4 or 5 hrs.[:p] Can't wait!!![:D]I'll post the results[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

snapper39

Looks great Jack: how are posting the pics? I can't figure it out.
Snap

Bassman

Mike, to insert a photo you need a place to upload them and then insert the link. If you right click on my photo and go to properties you will see the URL (address) of where my pics are posted.Once you have an address you can insert it with the yellow looking floppy disc on this forum to insert image.So your actually posting a link not a photo. I think in another thread somewhere Olds offered to post pics.Not sure you have to ask him. If not, a site like the one I use is about $5.00 every 6 months.Not a big exspense.

Jack

Bassman

The Butts after smoking

And then Sliced,The flavor is excellent,but not like regular bacon. More of a cross between ham and canadian bacon. Much leaner,very tasty.I am very happy[:p][:D][8D][^][:)][:p][:p]

Jack

ruffinit

mmmm,i can almost smell em [:p].looks mity good bman.good job.i got a wait on mine ,letting cure for 20 days.11 more to go [;)]

mike

Bassman

This morning I fried some of this bacon with 2 eggs over light,toast,and coffee. It was EXCELLENT![:p]Next time I'm buying a slicer. I think it would be better sliced realy thin.

Jack

MallardWacker

Jack,

Most excelent!  Man after my own heart.  I think you are correct about the slicer.  If you find one at good price let us know.  It seems the are really cheap or really expensive.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Bassman,
Nice pics, good lookin' bacon[:p]

You used Buckboard rub.  Any variations ie curing time?

Please elaborate on the Smoke.  Flavour, temp, cook time to reach internal temp, also what internal temp did you reach?

PS - Anyone in Canada find a retailer for this stuff?  I've got two places I have found in Lethbridge that carry Hi Mountain, but it's only been the jerky cures and one place carries the poultry brine, but no one has the Buckboard.  I even contacted Wholesale Sports in Calgary and they don't stock it either[:(]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

WhiteTailFan,
I followed the directions to the letter as far as the time for curing. Which is 10 days.Rinsed & soaked for 2 hrs. Put the Butts in the smoker and turned the heat on till it reached 150F.Left the vent wide open.After 45 minutes started the smoke and closed the vent 3/4.I used Hickory.Smoked till internal temp reached 140F.Aprox.3 1/2 hrs.turned off the heat but let the smoke on for another hour while it cooled down. I let it sit at room temp till it was cool enough to put in the fridge to chill it just enough to make it firm. Made for much easier slicing.Used a 10" sharp boning knife to slice. It worked OK but a meat slicer is the way to go.[8D]

If your looking for a retailer in your area you can do that from Hi-Mountains web site.
http://www.himtnjerky.com/interactive/locator/index.php

or just buy it on-line from them direct.

Jack

msiler

If you found someplace that carries one of their products they should be able to get any of the rest of them without a problem.

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />If you found someplace that carries one of their products they should be able to get any of the rest of them without a problem.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">One would think, but some product dealers' aren't of that mindset. They stock next to nothing and <b>might</b> be willing to have something drop shipped from the factory.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?