buckboard bacon

Started by ruffinit, April 13, 2004, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />One would think, but some product dealers' aren't of that mindset. They stock next to nothing and <b>might</b> be willing to have something drop shipped from the factory.[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dead On Kirk!
I called Hi Mtn directly and they gave me names of the importers who supply the retailers.  The importers bring in all the products, but the retailers pick and choose.  I can easily have the stuff brought in, but the retailers are not accomodating between orders.  I have to wait until the fall notwithstanding asking for an order to be placed and picking up the full shipping charges.

I'm working with one proprietor because I'd rather give him the business than a large chain, but if I can't get what I want soon (spices and accessories), I'm going to have to bring in some items directly.  I'd buy the accessories from Chez-Bubba no questions asked, but since Bradley is based out of Richmond is seems like a waste in my little Bankers mind that I should incur the costs of shipping and border duties into the U.S. and then <b>again</b> back into Canada[}:)]

We need a guy like Chez north of the 49th[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

I have just discovered another use for this bacon. My wife made spaghetti sauce in a crock pot. she simmers it all day with either sausage or pork chops mixed in. Well this time we threw in some bacon and WOW, was that good. It gave the whole pot of sauce a subtle smoke flavor.So if you ever get the chance......[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Bassman,
PS - Anyone in Canada find a retailer for this stuff?  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I beliieve that SIR in Winnipeg carry this company's stuff but I'm not sure about the Buckboard Bacon; try the Web. It is actually quite painless ordering it from Wyoming though!

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

Cold Smoke

S.I.R. does stock some of Hi Mountain's products however I have not seen the Buckboard Bacon product on the shelves. Just FYI- the last time I ordered something from Hi Mountain in Wyoming they shipped it to me using UPS as a delivery service. Once the package arrived at my door- approx $30 worth of product- UPS was wanting a $30 cheque for a brokerage fee. Brokerage fee?? No one at Hi Mountain had mentioned anything about a brokerage fee.[:(!][:(!] [:(!]That was aside from the shipping/handling charges which I paid Hi Mountain for separately. I don't know, maybe it's just me but a fee representing 100% of the cost of the product is perhaps a little steep. I immediately contacted Hi Mountain to ask/advise them of this. They did apologize and my next order was sent without going through UPS' hands. Something to watch for.

Cold Smoke

whitetailfan

That's kinda humourous Cold[:D]
Humourous in that when I phoned Hi Mtn, they told me that they do NOT ship via (UPS is it?) because of a complaint about brokerage fees - was probably You! LOL - it's a small world...

I will most likely order from them directly.  It's just that I went through a bunch of calling around to see if I can pick some up locally and it's so frustrating - The wholesaler has some sitting in Edmonton, it's here in Canada, but the retailers won't get any of it.  Begs the question - which one of the wholesalers' customers do carry it, or is there just a bunch of happy employees up in Edmonton who have all the Buck Board Cure they want becuase no one buys it[?][:o)][:o)]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Cold Smoke

WF- Yeah that might be because of me. For the record, the folks at Hi Mountain were really great about it- they offered to reimburse me for my order. (I politely declined the offer- not their fault- it appears they were not aware of these extra charges by UPS). They need to make a buck too- I doubt they're in business to give away the stuff. I'm still a loyal customer.

BTW- That delivery company is still sending me pretty nasty letters for putting a stop on that cheque (check- for those south of the border).[:D][:D]

Cold Smoke

Oldman

Interesting,

I ship to Canada all of the time via ups and there was never an extra change. I will have ask the next time and see if something has changed.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

All I worked for UPS in Canada for 17 years in a senior operations management postition. The charge you are referring to is a brokerage charge. This is common and expected on every single ground shipment into Canada UNLESS it is shipped next day air at which time the brokerage charge is included in the shipping cost. It is UPS's biggest money making scheme in Canada. Have it shipped Post, they are a government agency and do not have to play by the same rules, it takes a few days longer but is much cheaper. Besides I have an issue supporting big browns money machine they make on the backs of their employees. Just my 2 cents.
Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Cold Smoke

Snap, that's very interesting....Big Brown can kiss my big brown ---. Oops...They won't see a cent from me. Quite the scam... or did you say scheme?

You did say you worked there- worked being past tense? I hope my activities are not cutting into your profit sharing plans...[:)]

Cold Smoke

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br /> UPS was wanting a $30 cheque for a brokerage fee. Brokerage fee?? No one at Hi Mountain had mentioned anything about a brokerage fee
Sorry; I should have told you to specify mail!

Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The wholesaler has some sitting in Edmonton, it's here in Canada, but the retailers won't get any of it.  
<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">First one to find it in Canada should get promoted!

Richard Pearce

Cold Smoke

Quote<i>Originally posted by Richard Pearce</i>
[Sorry; I should have told you to specify mail!

No worries Richard. It was a learning experience for me.

Cold Smoke

snapper39

I did say use to work for UPS. No harm fire away !!!

Maybe one of us Canucks should go into business and start importing some of the items we cannot buy here.
Come to think of it I could use the tax write off.
How does "Snaps Smoke Supplies" sound. LOL

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Richard Pearce

<font color="navy"><font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Just an observation but does anyone know why my last three, at least, posts are listed as my 39th post; I see to be stuck in some sort of "Buchanesque 39 time warp" where I'll post for ever going never making any steps forward or back!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2"></font id="navy">

Richard Pearce

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Pearce</i>
does anyone know why my last three, at least, posts are listed as my 39th
Quote<font color="navy"><font size="2"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Not to worry! I seem to have shot forward to 40 now!![:)]
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size2"></font id="navy"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Richard Pearce