buckboard bacon

Started by ruffinit, April 13, 2004, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

Or 41?[:)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ruffinit

well my maple cure bbb came out great! 20 day cure time.smoked at 150f till internal temp. came to 140f ,[about three hours]then turned off heat and let smoke another hour.what great flavor.don't think i'll buy store bought ever again.i did an 8 and 5 # butt.after giving samples to all i've told of bbb for the past 3 weeks,i've got to get more in the cure.i went out and bought a cheap meat slicer at harbor freight for 30 bucks.[www.harborfreight.com] gets the job done,have to have one if you want thin sliced bacon,fast and even sliced.

mike

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ruffinit</i>
<br />smoked at 150f till internal temp. came to 140f ,[about three hours]then turned off heat and let smoke another hour.
i did an 8 and 5 # butt.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ruff,
You got an 8 lb piece of meat up to cabinet temp in only 3 hours?
I would have figured that for way longer...

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

ruffinit

may have been longer,sorry for confusion.but main thing is internal temp.to 140f.i just followed directions on box from hi mountain and worked out real good.tho i did'nt go to 200f as directios said i tried to stay at 150f,went over a little,not long or much tho ,adjusted temp.control and smoked on.

mike

whitetailfan

Thats fine...good work.
I just have such a time in getting my stuff up to internal temp, and since I just did some pork butts this weekend and it took over 10 hours to get to temp, it struck me as quickly - actually after reading the comments about the temp plateau that is hit while smoking butts, I realize now that all the extra time went into "breaking the plane" to get up to 190deg.  Reaching 140 may easily be reached sooner.
I got to 140 doing six rings of sausage in under four hours, so...[:I]

One of the toughest mental challenges in smoking is using such low temp.  To do a normal roast in the oven you might cook at 350' and it is done way sooner.  It is the patience it takes to reach a temp that is almost the same as the cabinet temp that takes practice[:D]

I'm gonna try some bacon soooooooooooooon!  Still dont have any BBB, but I got a recipe for some out of a book I found this week I borrowed from my Dad last year.  Results much anticipated.[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

This butt stuff is a long process at 220, I don't reach 185 till about 11-12hrs.  It's worth the waite.   Have fun.  Get that bacon going boy....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Ok my turn [:D]

I butt cured her for 20 days. (That sound kind of...but at least she was a-smiling) 2pm yesterday I pre-heated my smoker 30 minutes. It was in the direct sun light. Outside temp. in the shade 90F. Burned pucks (oak) seven hours worth. Removed Buckboard Beacon 10 pm. Given that my Redi-Check Thermometer is not working correctly I used 3 probes at the top of the smoker where smokes exits. Average cooking temp. was 180-190F give or take a few. Have no idea of the meat temp. when I removed it. However, with 40 year of smoking I was not worried.

The picture tell ya the rest. Of course you all know I T-shirt smoked this puppy.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Olds,

Great job, it looks like you got a good cut of meat also.  At least you got me thinking about this t-shirt thing.  Don't forget to cut some steaks and grill them.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ChefJeff

Olds, Some folks just can't stand naked butts,but how do you get the T-shirt to cover the  whole butt,I can't even do that with one of my dress shirts.[}:)][;)][;)]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

Olds:  That looks outstanding!  Wish you'd quit smoking those puppies and work on piggies!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

Beautiful Olds![:p]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

snapper39

Olds: WOW  whoever cut the bone out of that butt needs an award. You can't even tell, usually when I debone I make a heck of a mess.

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Oldman

Well thank you.  I have this nice thin curved boning knife [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

Olds: with the Tshirt technique, do you smoke for a period naked and then apply the Tshirt or is the meat fully clothed throughout the process?

Snap

I'd walk a thousand miles to smoke a "Camel"

Chez Bubba

Hey Olds,

What are those "sausage turtles" behind the knife?[:D]

Kirk