"Weather Cover"

Started by Scrambled, September 16, 2005, 12:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrambled

Hello, new BS owner here.  The family experienced the first meat from the smoker this past weekend, great stuff - that picnic shoulder I smoked fell off the bone, incredible.  So good I did two more Saturday/Sunday, cleaned up the BS and put on the "Weather Cover", designed to "protect the BS from the elements", accoring to the ad on this site for the cover.

Well, if weatherproof = waterproof, its not.  It rained today, a good ol Texas frog strangler - lasted about 15 minutes.  After the rain, I went down to uncover and preheat for my next attempt, some venison sausage I took ot of the freezer from last years hunt.

The BS was pretty wet, generator had water standing on top.  No water inside the box as best as I can see.  ANyone else have experience with this?  Can I leave this thing outside or not?

Smokum is ya got um!

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

I've had mine for 14 months, and have stored in on my front deck with just the cover on it, and it has never gotten wet. I live in the Northeast, and I get all kinds of weather. The weathermen in my area get bored if we have 3 consecutive days of good weather[:)]. Just today we had some severe torrential rains with strong winds, and the BS is dry as a bone. The cover has faded, but it definitely still protecting the BS from moisture.

Was it just the generator wet or the entire BS? I would check your cover for possible tears, or breaks in the seams. Did you secure the cover by tightening the draw strings on the bottom? If you fail to do this, if there is any wind the cover can be blown up, or water can be blown up inside the cover.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scrambled

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Welcome to the forum.

I've had mine for 14 months, and have stored in on my front deck with just the cover on it, and it has never gotten wet. I live in the Northeast, and I get all kinds of weather. The weathermen in my area get bored if we have 3 consecutive days of good weather[:)]. Just today we had some severe torrential rains with strong winds, and the BS is dry as a bone. The cover has faded, but it definitely still protecting the BS from moisture.

Was it just the generator wet or the entire BS? I would check your cover for possible tears, or breaks in the seams. Did you secure the cover by tightening the draw strings on the bottom? If you fail to do this, if there is any wind the cover can be blown up, or water can be blown up inside the cover.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the welcome!  yep, I had the draw string pulled nice and tight, I believe the material is allowing water to enter.  I sent an email to Bradley, I'll post back up with details.

Smokum is ya got um!

Brabus

Let me know what you found out. I just bought a weather cover and put it on last night actally. It's going to be rainy season here in the Bay Area soon so I want to know if I can leave it outside or not...

Habanero Smoker

I've been using the cover for over 14 months, other then a little fading, it has kept my BS dry. I leave mine on the deck, exposed to all the elements.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bsolomon

Ditto - 14 months, faded but watertight.  At least until the bear ate it, but that's another story altogether, and probably not a warranty issue...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">At least until the bear ate it, but that's another story altogether, and probably not a warranty issue...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">BTW how did the door turn out?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bsolomon

Everything is good.  I just needed to replace the lower plastic housing that holds the temp controller, and straighten out the hinges.  The door seals fine, and the smoker works great.  The bite in the door is in the outer panel and didn't actually puncture anything, so it really just looks like a big dent.  I'm not too concerned with the cosmetic aspect as long as it works properly.

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm not too concerned with the cosmetic aspect as long as it works properly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You just have to grin and bear it.[:D]
T2

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />You just have to grin and bear it.[:D]
T2
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Phone Guy

I live in the Redding CA area. We don't get as much rain as some of you but the sun is fierce. I have had my cover on for months and it has kept the BS dry. More importantly, the sun and ultra violet rays are not cracking or rotting the fabric. The top has faded but thats it. It appears to be as weather tight as it was when new. I have a cover on my grill that is all cracked after just one summer in Redding. I'm not sure how people live here. I think I'm aclimated due to being born in Red Bluff.[V]

Crazy Canuck

Darn near 12 months thru snow wind rain sleet and sun.  The outer cover is faded and I just found a small crack where the little button thingy for the vent is.  Just going to add some duct tape to the inside.  It should not wear after that.

Addicted to Smokin'[;)]
DanR@ Fort St. John BC