Auber PID

Started by lumpyk, April 04, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpyk

Got my Auber PID in the mail today, shipped quick.  Know to read and figure out how to use it.  Skimmed the directions so far and seem to be a little complicated.  Sure I can figure it out though.  Looking some input on how to use it correctly.  Have read before some dint use it to control the smoker just the temperature.  Should I use the preset program or auto-tune it?  Now just need to get off these 12 hours days so I can get smokin!     

TedEbear

Quote from: lumpyk on April 04, 2011, 05:18:07 PM
Got my Auber PID in the mail today, shipped quick.  Know to read and figure out how Should I use the preset program or auto-tune it?      

Put some filler bricks in the chamber to simulate a load and begin the auto-tune.  Your PID controller doesn't know right out of the box whether it is controlling a 500W heating element, a 1000W or what.  The only way it can accurately fine-tune itself to your smoker is via the auto-tune.  Get 'er started and watch the fun.   :)

Apparently, you bought the plug-n-play PID and not the one that can be installed in the SG box, right?

HawkeyeSmokes

Go and try it with the preset programming.

If your not satisfied with the temp control, you can do the auto tune any time.
HawkeyeSmokes

GusRobin

You can autotune if you want to but the Auber PID is pre set for the single element Bradley. If you have the dual element the "only parameter you need to change is the P value. It should be increased from 70 to 140. The rest of parameters should be kept the same as the original (I=600 and d=150).  This will give you the best result." that is a quote from Suyi at Auber.

Some instructions for use are posted here
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Always do the auto-tune to properly dial it to your specific smoker.  Things such as the condition of the heating element and how hot it gets, whether you have a 6-rack or 4-rack smoker, etc., all play a part in how well a PID controller will do its job.  The only way to know it is right is to run the auto-tune and let it learn.

Ketch22

Hi
Tedebear do you have a parts list and part #'s for the PID that you put in your SG. I have a SG that I would like to ad a PID and how to wire it in the SG

Thanks ketch

jimmyb

while reading this thread a light bulb went off in my head. I have a previous thread started about my smokes taking much less time than usual after the dual mod and of course the Auber PID. I thought it was because of the temp recovery with the dual mod. Now I am starting think that I may need to auto-tune it. In the doc it says it was tuned for the OBS but I did mod the smoker with a second element. This could be my answer here. Love this forum!

TedEbear

Quote from: Ketch22 on April 05, 2011, 04:07:15 AM
Hi
Tedebear do you have a parts list and part #'s for the PID that you put in your SG. I have a SG that I would like to ad a PID and how to wire it in the SG

Thanks ketch

Here's the how-to that I went by:  PID Controller Install

Ketch22

Thanks  Tedebear 

That is what I need

DONS9999

Where do you order this Auber PID?

TedEbear

Quote from: DONS9999 on June 23, 2011, 07:32:28 PM
Where do you order this Auber PID?

Auber Instruments.  They have both the DIY PID controllers or the plug-n-play PID controllers.

ghost9mm

what Gus said...his instructions makes the learning curve for the PID a lot easier...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

freakaccident

The Gus instructions make the Auber stupid simple to understand and use.  6 cycles for heat and 2 for smoke which you link to the 6 heat cycles.  If you only use 3 cycles then put zeros on the remaining 3.  I usually program cycle 1 for an hour for preheat, cycle 2 for the amount of time I want to smoke, and cycle 3 until IT is hit.  Link smoke cycle 1 to heat cycle 2 and go to the swimming pool.  Silly easy after you sit in front of the Auber with his instructions.  Go go Gus!!

Once it's up and running and you are not in the menus you will see cabinet temp on the left and cycle time on the right.  If you have the dual probe hit the time button to show meat temp.

Best investment for the Bradley ever.   ;D OH and buy the Auber Bradley Smoker Bisquette Saver too.  They are like the Bubba Pucks I guess.  Not sure which is better but I have the Auber ones.  Saves you from burning extra pucks when the smoke generator pushes them up to the end because they will still smolder. 

EDIT - You may want to get an extension cable so you don't have to have the auber sitting right next to the smoke generator.  It's just a PC power extension cable.  The one you use that comes with the Bradley that goes from the smoke generator to the cabinet get's reused with the Auber and it is too short IMHO.  I bought my extension cable at Frys.  I'm sure they sell them at tigerdirect or newegg too.  

My bradley sits right next to my propane grill.  I put the auber in the cabinet under the grill just in case it rains.  Not sure if the Auber is water resistant or not.  Works out well and keeps it out of the weather.  I take the auber inside when I am done smoking but I refuse to plan my smokes around the weather.

bille

Quote from: GusRobin on April 04, 2011, 05:57:24 PM
You can autotune if you want to but the Auber PID is pre set for the single element Bradley. If you have the dual element the "only parameter you need to change is the P value. It should be increased from 70 to 140. The rest of parameters should be kept the same as the original (I=600 and d=150).  This will give you the best result." that is a quote from Suyi at Auber.

Some instructions for use are posted here
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

Just thought I would revive this, I just added a second element to my 4 rack DBS and I changed the P valule as indicated instead of running auto tune and I am completely satisfied with the results.