First salmon smoke !!

Started by cobra6223, April 07, 2011, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

I have a piece of salmon , 1.41# any suggestions on how long it might take from start to finish and do I use the 100-120 = 1-2 hour then 140 = 2-4 hours then 175 till finish , still looking for 152-155 IT ? Thanks for all your help in advance . Hey folks thought of one more question after looking at another post , do you cut it into those strips before or after you brine it ? Thanks again .
Tim

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kummok

Mine takes no more than 4 hours but I use small pieces. I always process the meat into final size before brining...I don't normally do strips...The size of the meat is strictly according to personal tastes and discussed more specifically in other 'Fish' threads. It will however, have an effect on pellicle forming and smoking times....essentially, the bigger the chunk of meat the longer the pellicle and smoking times....(not talking major time differentials). I have "evolved" into 1-1.5" bite-size chunks because I like the smokey outsides (kind like making just muffin TOPs!)....they take a bit longer to process into bite size but hey, I'm retired!!