When is Smoked Salmon done?

Started by zueth, April 08, 2011, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Do you guys cook your smoked salmon to a IT? or just go by look? looks like most people smoke/cook for about 8 hours.

Was wondering if there is a IT I need to try to reach.

cobra6223

hey Z
go to my post and read how muebe done his , I just did one fillet , took the tail section off at about 4.5-5 hours left the front half on 8 hours , tail was from behind the rib cage back and for me just perfect and basically I felt it looked dry and was going to be over done if left much longer , front half I basically felt and felt mushy up to 8 hours and it still gave when touched , but once it cooled , it was perfect ! I didn't use his marinade this time but a dry  rub my friend uses . I hate mushy fish when it's smoked and this was like said perfect ,  fillet started at 1.41 pounds . I rambled a lot but hope it helps . good luck and enjoy !!

Tim

Kummok

I bought two Mavericks...they're still in the box after 7 years of smoking salmon. The time is really dependent upon the size of the meat you're smoking. The size of the meat is strictly according to personal tastes and discussed more specifically in other 'Fish' threads. It will however, have an effect on pellicle forming and smoking times....essentially, the bigger the chunk of meat the longer the pellicle and smoking times....(not talking major time differentials). I have "evolved" into 1-1.5" bite-size chunks because I like the smokey outsides (kind like making just muffin TOPs!)....they take a bit longer to process into bite size but are worth the extra effort to me....most smokers don't really want to spend that kind of time on processing...again, personal taste dictates. I rarely smoke longer than 3.5-4 hours for the size I smoke....

I'm with Tim on the cooling...my salmon always improves in taste and texture after cooling

Tenpoint5

When is Smoked Salmon done? When its Done!!!

Somebody had to say it!!!! OK I'll go to bed now
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Hey Kummok...I can take one of those un-opened Maveriks off your hands if you need me to ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

Well ended up smoking my fish for about 6 hours at to a IT of 130, turned out very good.