New Home for my smoker

Started by Mortikahn, March 28, 2011, 08:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortikahn

I wanted a home for my smoker, and after viewing several posts on the subject here, I decided it was time to make it happen.
Thanks to all of you who posted pictures of your smoker homes, as they provided much inspiration for mine.
Obviously this is a work in progress, and I will post more pictures once I have finished staining.
Sorry for the crappy pictures, and their large size.

All closed up

Opened up

6 rack DBS sits on the right with a chimney out the top. The Dual probe Auber PID will sit on the little shelf to the left.
Storage for bisquettes, racks, etc go below.
I came, I saw, I smoked it.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mortikahn;

Welcome to the forum.

Your cabinet looks interesting, but the photos are difficult to view. Try resampling your photos to 640x480 and posting them again so they will fit on most screens without having to scroll.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mortikahn

I cropped and resized the images, hopefully they are easier to view.

squirtthecat

Nice...

I like the 'ironing board' fold out table/prep area.

OU812

SWEET!

Nice set up, looks well thought out.

Mortikahn

Here are the finished pictures. Unfortunately they don't do justice to the color, as it looks brown in the photos. The wood actually has an aged grey/brown appearance like an old weathered fence.

Opened up and ready to smoke

muebe

Man that is nice! Built-in serving and prep table. All I can say is bravo :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Mighty fine, mighty fine in deed.

Habanero Smoker

That is really nice. Seeing the full picture without scrolling gives me a better look at your workmanship. Your table/door idea may have solved a problem I was working on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghost9mm

Very well done, it appears to be well thought out...everything in it's place and I like the idea of the prep bench..
                 Gary
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Smokin Soon

Very nice! I envy your woodworking skills. Did you keep records in case anyone else is interested in building that work of art?

Mortikahn

It's a really simple design, I didn't have any plans. It's 34"x20"x72".

You need:
4 good quality rubber covered nylon wheels (I wheels that add a total height of 2" when attached)
4 71" 2x2s (uprights)
8 31" 2x2s (front and back shelf/floor/roof supports)
8 17" 2x2s (left and right shelf/floor/roof supports)
1 sheet 1/2" plywood (floor, shelves and roof) Shelves are 34"x20" notched at corners to fit around the 4 uprights, except floor and roof which is not notched
2 sheets 1/4" plywood (exterior covering)
all 4 doors are made from 2 pieces of 16x72 butcher block
The 2 shelf doors and the right main door are attached with cabinet door hinges
The left table/door is attached via a 12" piano hinge to the smoker shelf
The corner trim is 1/4" pine angle
Top and bottom kick panels and door trim is made from Pine 1x2s ripped in half (to make thinner)
The legs for the table are the same as the door trim, just not ripped, and attached via 12" piano hinge to the top of the door and brass leg locks (I am looking for black)
The shelf for the PID was made using scrap lumber I found on the floor after making the rest of the cabinet.
Just below the PID shelf is a surge protector with a 15' power cord, and all the various power cords are routed along the back wall and plugged into this strip, allowing me to plug in 1 cord, press one button and power on the whole cabinet.

I assembled everything with Liquid Nails, and a brad nailer. I started at the bottom, and attached the shelf supports to a piece of 34"x20" 1/2" plywood, and then attached the uprights to that. Then added the roof supports, followed by the each of the shelves supports. Then I added the roof (20"x34" 1/2" plywood), followed by the 2 shelves (20"x34" 1/2" plywood notched at corners). The covered the outside with 1/2" plywood, cut the butcher block to fit the main doors, and attached with hinges. Fit lower doors, and attach with hinges as well. Then deck out with trim, and handles etc.

I reinforced the legs, by using 2" deck screws as well (drill pilot holes first). The measurements were chosen, so without the chimney, the entire cabinet will fit under a standard garage door (I store everything in the garage). I just pop the chimney off, roll it outside, and put the chimney back on top.

Assembly took 2 days, but that was designing as I went. I pretty sure I could put one together in an afternoon now, since I have all the measurements.

Hopefully that's enough to get a motivated person started.

duncanshannon

awesome!

are you storing it in the garage and rolling it out to the driveway when you use it?

i currently keep mine on the back deck and would need to worry about weather a bit more... would like to leave it out year round!

Mortikahn

That is exactly what I am doing with it.
It sits at the front of my garage until needed at which time I roll it out onto the driveway.