Country style ribs

Started by mhiykmeel63, April 11, 2011, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhiykmeel63

Hey guys, I'm wanting to try country style ribs in the smoker but not sure if they'll turn out. Im going to use my basic rib rub, but what temp and how long? Also what is the 3-2-1 method? Thanx in advance

TedEbear

I did 6 slabs of baby backs yesterday.  I used 3 hours worth of smoke pucks and left the chamber temp at 225*F the entire time. 

3-2-1:

3 hours bare on the rack, exposed to the smoke
2 hours sealed in foil with 1/2 - 1 cup of apple juice to tenderize
1 hour back on the rack out of the foil to firm up the meat

The 3-2-1 is more for the larger spare ribs or if your smoker is stuffed full.  Baby backs are a bit smaller and unless your smoker is full many cooks use a slightly faster cooking time such as 2-2-1.

Ka Honu

Don't have time for much of a post (on hotel Wi-Fi in Barcelona) but country-style ribs are not really ribs and cook a bit differently - more like pork chops. I'm sure someone will have more complete comments here pretty soon.

mhiykmeel63

Thanx for the info Ted, I really appreciate it

GusRobin

when I cook country ribs i basically treat them as spar ribs and do a 3-2-1. SOmetimes the last 1 becomes a 2.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

When I did the How to do ribs thread I had some country style that went through the same process as the spare ribs in the 3,2,1.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Ka Honu on April 11, 2011, 11:17:03 AM...country-style ribs are not really ribs and cook a bit differently - more like pork chops.

... or not.

mhiykmeel63

Thanx for the info guys....cant wait to try them this weekend