OEB or Digital

Started by viper125, April 13, 2011, 06:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAM1

If you drill the holes in the right spot you can put all of your old hardware back in the stock locations so if you have to go back to the 500 you can.  I bought a 750w back up just like my 900w just in case.  I thought if the 900w was to hot and burned out maybe that would work better.  Haven't had to use it yet.  I also ordered a stock replacement before my conversion after reading about all the fails so I have one used and one new 500w watt if anyones interested.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

beefmann

muebe,

be sure you run a blower  with that heater to blow the air through it, it has been reported by another  member that  has used  a simulator finned heater  with  out a fan or blower and burnt up the  heater, I have ran a blower from day 1 with that  heater and never had a problem... that was 5 years ago and still running strong

muebe

Beefman....if I am using a PID do you think that a fan is still needed? Once cabinet temp is reached the PID throttles the element ??? Also my puck burner is never located in the cabinet with my setup so maybe the heat will not be as excessive?

BAM...does your setup have a circulation fan?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

BAM1

Idon't have a fan in my cabinet but I have an exhaust fan above my vent.  I've kept a pretty close eye on the element and it only gets orange in the beginning.  Like I said, I did buy a 750w for a back up but haven't had to use it yet.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

alex800

I purchased DBS a couple of weeks ago and used it this past weekend to smoke pulled beef and some ribs. I noticed my temperature swing was 20-40. Plus at the end of smoke the heating element went out on me. I'm thinking of returning my DBS and getting OBS with PID. Any opinions if it will be worth at this point.

TIA

muebe

I think the PID and OBS is a better setup to have. Bradley had some defective heating elements out there and sounds like you got one. Bradley is getting replacements out to people but they currently are on back order. So you might end up with another defective element with a new OBS also...
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

alex800

Thanks muebe for your reply.

I do realize that by going to OBS/PID will not eliminate the possibility of getting bad heating elements but I do want to get the best possible setup while I'm still able to exchange. So I will probably take my DBS back to Costco and get OBS/PID combo.

One more question. Am I going to lose any features by going from digital to OBS/PID?

EDIT Or should I add PID to DBS?

muebe

Now I do not own a DBS....but I believe as long as you get a dual probe PID you will not lose any features and gain better temp control

alex800

Ordered OBS and dual probe PID. Thanks for your help muebe!  ;D