Doing a BIG BIG smoke... any tips?

Started by Brabus, September 22, 2005, 05:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brabus

Going to do a huge smoke this weekend. I plan to go 190 degree for 24 hours or so on Pork Butt for pulling. Then FTC for 3-4 hours

The thing is, I want to pack the BS full of meat. I'm currently thinking about 3 - 6lb chunks of Pork, and a couple of rib racks. I've never smoked that much at one time so any tips would be helpful!!

Edit: Also, the ribs don't take as long as the butt right? How long should I wait to put them in?

Chez Bubba

I don't think you'll need the full 24 for butts. I cook 4 at a time (6-8# avg) and put them in about 4 hrs before I go to bed. That way, I can switch out the water pan to empty the majority of the fat before I go to bed.

I haven't done a ton of ribs, but would be inclined to put them in in the morning for about 4 hrs of cook. FTC if you want, I prefer the bark.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

At 190°F cabinet temperature, my hunch is that it will take longer than 24 hrs.  I usually put in the smoker that has been preheated to 275°F after I have let the shoulder/butt rest outside refrigeration for about 1-1.5 hrs.  I put it in the smoker, and try to maintain about 205-210°F throughout the smoke. When the meat hites 187°F, I pull out and FTC.   I start around 10 a.m. the morning before the event.  I have two SS smokers, and have only used one for the butts...the other, the ribs.  If the load is close to the same in weight/volume, my procom4/Raptor will contol the heat in both cabinets.  I hang the ribs instead of using shelves.  Hate the clean-up after ribs!  Keep you vent open about 1/4-1/3 open during smoke/cook.

I change out the water after 4 hours, and usually one more time.  The top shelf is reserved for about a pound of thick sliced bacon to drip down on butts/shoulders and ribs during smoke.  I drape bacon over ribs now that I have started to hang them.  I rotate shelves every 4hrs.  When I get fans in my smokers to stir the internal air, won't have to do the rotation any longer.  

The meat, even after 6 hrs in the cooler (FTC), is almost too hot to handle.  With only one smoker, I would do the ribs the day before, smoke to 165-170, put them wrap in foil w/a little apple juice and sauce inside, and pop them back in to the smoker during the time you are awaiting for the guests to arrive, or into a 250° oven for about an hour  prior to serving...frankly, I do in the oven inside and smoke up some ABTs or chicken wings that I serve as appetizers along with adult beverages.

I served 12-15 in early August doing that way, and no regrets for doing everything in advance.  You just can't enjoy the company when you are worried about not getting everything finished on time.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Brabus

Hmm, I'm hearing conflicting advice... but I like the idea of doing the ribs the night before. I think I'll do that. Then I'll pack the BS full of butt 4-5 pieces. I'll watch the temp and rotate the racks. I'm hoping it'll take about 24 hours so maybe I'll up the temp to 200 degrees.

How long to smoke chicken wings?? Maybe I won't have enough room :p

-Jeremy

nsxbill

Jeremy

I do wings for 2 hrs at maximum temp, then they go for a swim in BBQ sauce and directly onto gas grill at medium heat until they crisp up and are browned.

Chez, the other responder, does a lot of butts.  Everyone does it diffently.  Kinda like going from California to New York...lots of roads going in the same direction.  I like to make sure that the meat is done in plenty of time, so I do it the way I do it.  I don't do small pork buttsshoulder, mine usually average about 7-8 lbs each.

You really can't screw the pooch on Butt.  It is just the time part that I wanted you to make sure you address..especially if you have company coming.  Don't want anyone to have to order pizza when there is lots of good meat in the smoker that doesn't finish on time.

Butts and brisket will drive you nuts when the internal temp of the meat hovers around 165 for several hours while the collegen breaks down.  If you don't allow enough time for the slow cook, you will rush it at the end, and that is a mistake!  You just have to allow time to do it right.

Learning this trick from one of the guys on the list, I now cut the fat cap like a checkerboard crosshatch.  I marinade in French's Mustard or Italian Wishbone, with added spice/rub.. It penetrates better with the crosshatch.  I vacuum marinade in a Hobart 25# capacity unit, and find I don't have to let it sit in marinade all night.  I just tumble for about 30 min, take it out...damn it is messy when I use mustard, and then I dust with rub and into the smoker.  Bacon on top shelf is mandatory, and quite good to munch on with beer later!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Jeremy,

I confess I misread your original post. I thought you were saying you were going to cook the butts <b>TO</b> 190, not <b>AT</b> 190. I always have the slider all the way to the right & in the latter part of the cook the cabinet temp is around 250. For the majority of the smoke though, it is at 175-225.

The problem you will face is as the meat comes closer to the cabinet temp, each degree in the meat takes longer & longer to achieve. If your goal is 24 hours, then I would agree in theory that cooking at 190 may be the plan. I also agree with Bill in that it might take more than 24 hours.

Like Bill said, we all do it different. Good luck,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Brabus

Interesting. I like the new theories and tips I'm hearing :) I guess it's about developing your own style :) My goal isn't as much as the time constraint as it is really getting a super tender and moist butt. So if I could do that within 5 hours, I would!! But I've seen some of you guys go for over 24 hours so I thought I'd tried that this time. The last pork I did was about 12 hours and it turned out okay... but there was much better to be had :)

I'll try the wings tonight to get me warmed up. That should be fun. Bacon on the top shelf is a great idea!

Now... time to try some brisket too. :p

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Now... time to try some brisket too. :p</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If you get a whole brisket and then have to trim it up save that fat and use it instead of bacon over the brisket. [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

GrillinFool

I have had great results cooking the butts for 24 hours. The reason it takes me so long is because I believe that if you keep it below 210* box temp you dont evaporate very much moisture(I dont have a Guru and I have trouble wih temps any way). The other reason is that I do not wrap mine in foil until it is ready for the FTC at 190* internal. I baste the meat every 1.5 hours for the last 8 hours. But I feel pretty strong about basting with vinegar, beer and bbq sauce. That black smoked crust is worth the delay. I guess I am just used to cooking butts on a pit over night and if I dont mop it I am doing something wrong. fyi if you do baste use a big foil pan under the meat and let the mop run all over the meat, but not on any box surface, wow what a mess it can be.