Bacon,bacon, Bacon part II

Started by GusRobin, April 16, 2011, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

When we last left our hero in Part I about a week ago, he had just finished quartering a 12 lb belly. See
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21855.0
In addition to cure and salt, 1 piece had maple syrup added, 1 piece had honey and mustard, 1 piece had gunpowder, and 1 piece had "'bama red". Off into the refrigerator they went.

Now as we rejoin our hero a week later, they are ready for the smoker. Last night I took them from the baggies they were curing in, rinsed them off, patted them dry and back into the fridge to dry overnight.
Here they are:

If you look closely at the one in the bottom left, you will see a "M" carved into the top. Whenever I have multiple pieces with different rubs, etc, I usually lose track of which is which. If I rotate racks my short memory loses track. I guess the adult beverage consumption may contribute to the probelm. So rather than give up the beverages I carved 3 of them with an "M" (maple); "H" (honey); or an "A" ('bama red). I figure if 3 of 4 are marked then even I can figure out the fourth.
So into the smoker with the maple and honey pieces first with 1 1/3 hours maple and 2/3 pecan (ran out of maple). After that I'll put the other 2 in for 2 hours of hickory and then put them all in until done.

Like many I use a 9" X 13" throwaway pan for my water bowl. This time I bought one that was a little more rugged.

It is in between a "real" cake pan and a typical throwaway. Should get many uses out of it.
I'll be back in about 6 hours or so posting the final pics.
Wasn't sure if I would be done in time to have BLTs for dinner, so I marinated a flat iron steak to grill tonight.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Funny! I was thinking just 15 minutes ago about if we would see part two soon? Good luck Gus I'm sure they will come out great. I stopped and looked at the price of bacon in Kroger's yesterday and at $3/lb you are coning out real good!  ;D

KyNola

Awesome!  Can't wait to see all that smoked bacon Gus.

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm BACON.

Cant wait to see and hear how the different flavors turn out.

When I'm doing a bunch of different flavors I keep track of them by using toothpicks, 1 toothpick for honey mustard, 2 toothpicks for gunpowder, 3 toothpicks for bama red.

It also helps if you right that information down.  ;D

ghost9mm

We need pictures of the final, the beginning sure looks good...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill