Country Style Pork Ribs

Started by Dirt Clod, April 16, 2011, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Clod

I am getting ready to try some country style ribs for the first time. Any help on how long to smoke,cook etc would be appreciated. Plan on using hickory for the smoke. Thanks

GusRobin

I cook them the same as spare ribs - the 3-2-1 method at 225 witth vent wide open. I use 3 hours of hickory.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: Dirt Clod on April 16, 2011, 02:23:43 PM
I am getting ready to try some country style ribs for the first time. Any help on how long to smoke,cook etc would be appreciated. Plan on using hickory for the smoke. Thanks

There's a current thread on this already with some good ides:  Country Style Ribs

Habanero Smoker

Also a lot depend on whether or not they are true country style ribs. True country ribs are cut from the end of the loin (rib section) near where the muscle connects to the butt; and sometime they will cut a little ways into the butt but not too far in. You can get them with or without bone. These you cook like baby backs.

I've been in stores where they are selling "country style rib" which have been cut from the shoulder (butt) only. If they are from that area you will need to cook them longer, more like spare ribs.

For the above two types I use time as a guide, and then use the toothpick test to check for doneness.

And I have seen some stores selling "country style ribs", that are clearly from the center cut of the loin. These are nothing but boneless pork chops, and they will dry out quickly. These I don't buy.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I did some of these last summer...  They were the 'butt portion' cut with the bone in.

I did them 3-2-1 in my pellet smoker.