how shiney?

Started by happy49219, April 16, 2011, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happy49219

how much shine should be on my fish they have been on the racks for 13 hours and still not super shiney.  if anyone can help that would be awesome.

happy49219

btw using kummok recipe

Quarlow

They don't need to be shiny just slightly tacky to the touch. If you dry them to long you will get spots that dry right out and you might as well trim those. I never ever dried for pellicle before I found the forum. My dad just took them out of the brine and rinse them then into the smoker. I have only dried once and I was not sure it helped. But this will get more experimentation.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

happy49219

thanks gonna take them out now wish me luck 8)

Quarlow

Good luck and remember to rotate the racks.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Patsplace

Just did a batch of Spring Salmon and a chunk of Halibut to try smoking on and when I put the Kummok brine together I forgot the garlic and cayenne. Made a difference. Not as good without those two ingredients.
I feel much better since I started smoking.

iceman

Quote from: Patsplace on April 16, 2011, 11:43:58 PM
Just did a batch of Spring Salmon and a chunk of Halibut to try smoking on and when I put the Kummok brine together I forgot the garlic and cayenne. Made a difference. Not as good without those two ingredients.

How did the halibut turn out? I'm still looking for a good recipe for smoked halibut.  :)

devo

I put on a couple of racks this morning after moving the smoker back to the garage because of the snow we just got but I didn't let them dry completely. The last batch I did turned out OK this way. Sorry for the burly pic. I used Kummok recipe and sprinkled Hi-mountains cracked pepper N garlic spices on them. Almost time to go and rotate the racks.

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 23, 2011, 08:16:39 AM
....How did the halibut turn out? I'm still looking for a good recipe for smoked halibut.  :)

Pat:
One of the closest halibut "successes" down here has been to toss the halibut chunks in with the salmon and smoke with the salmon, with the halibut under the salmon (for salmon oil drips). Kinda cheating by hiding the halibut in "essence of salmon" and still "halibut dry" but pretty tasty for halibut when done that way. Halibut is halibut and I still haven't discovered ANY that smoked up as good as salmon or cod.....

iceman

Thanks for the info Kummok (king of kings) Salmon that is :D