pork butt failure

Started by stevergs, April 12, 2011, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevergs

did 2 bourbon blackbeyy butts last weekend.have done many with success,but 1 of them seemed different when taken out of the package and was almost in 2 pieces. very little bone. done to 200 degrees and the one would not pull and was the toughest piece of meat. finally chunked and fed to the dog. what was that all about?

SoCalBuilder

I take it you did the FTC thing afterwards? I've bought boneless butts or shoulders and they had to be tied back together, but they came out fine. You must love your dog. I would have found a way to eat that thing, pulled or not ;D

hal4uk

Sounds like it didn't cook/FTC long enough...
I only go to 190-ish followed by a long FTC.

Some butts are stubborn, but I never gave one to the dog.
Did it maybe come up to temp too quick?
You double-check your temp probes?

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokeville

Hey stevergs;

I've had several butts bought from the same store at the same time where one of them will just not give up and pull with grace and charm.... Even when they reach over 200F.

Sometimes, it just happens. What I did is take a sharp knife and a carving fork and slice and dice. They still tasted good!

I got no dog. Just a vegetarian bunny.

Rich

OU812

I've had some butts not want to give up the fight so when the good N tender one is doing the FTC thing the other is in the crock pot on high with some of the drippings from the smoker.

Serve up the tender one and if we need more the one in the crock pot is ready to give up.

SiFumar

Or turn into Chile Verde!  No dog of mine gets anything from a butt than the bare bone...and maybe a bit of fat.