Pork Butt's

Started by bubbagump, September 22, 2005, 09:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Hi All,

When you guys/gals get your pork butts, how do you order them. I spoke to my butcher who mentioned you can order them a number of ways.

Also, how much can their weight vary. I haven't done one before and would like to try one sometime soon.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

Oldman

The ones I do are called Boston Butts. See this pix for what they look like and normally they are around 5-7 pounds each.
<b>Click To Enlarge</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

I like the blade shoulder roasts.  Usually pick up a Sam's.  Two of them per package..about 15lbs. total weight.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

calatexmex

I prefer Butts. 8lbs max. They are the top shoulder cuts. They have the blade bone. You can get a whole shoulder 16 to 20lb. (Butt with the picnic attached). The picnic has a shank bone. Kind of like a chicken leg bone. The picnic also has skin and alot of surface fat attached. They can be used but are not prefered. Too much work to de-skin and de-fat.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
These are Butts I made for last spring Scout family camp. (Before Rub was applied)
Hope this helps
Mike C

Gordon

ok now I'm hungry

What a piece of work is man!

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">ok now I'm hungry
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That makes two of us! Thanks for the info guys.

Bubbagump