is a pid on a obs needed for bugger free salmon

Started by happy49219, April 16, 2011, 06:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happy49219

i'm using the 100 140 175 method to smoke some sockeye on my obs.  when i moved the temp to read 140 on the temp thermometer on the front after an hour there are some boogers on my salmon.  why?  would it be more efficent if i had a pid?

muebe

The door thermometer can read up to 50 degrees too low. Sounds like your cabinet temp was too high. You should at least use a digital thermometer to take cabinet temps and place the temp probe just below the lowest rack of fish or meat. A PID does work the best because you can program it to automatically change the temp according to Kummok's steps :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokeville

I can't say enough good things about the PID. I do a LOT of salmon and trout and without it, results were good, but I always had to watch the racks very carefully for doneness. As Muebe said, the door thermometer can be way off. The temp probe is a huge help, but you have to watch it like a hawk and correct the temp manually.

For the money, the Auber PID is well worth it. I especially think this is true for my DBS6, which has a different set of issues than the OBS. The Auber turned it into the near perfect fish smoker.

Rich

devo

I have used my Auber PID twice now and it is just great. Like it's been said it is worth the money. Also they are real nice people to deal with so you can't go wrong.