Homemade Hot Dogs

Started by Tenpoint5, April 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 18, 2011, 06:33:59 AM
My grinder never even seen the light of day during the making of these hot dogs. I used store bought beef and poke and emulsified them in small batches in the food processor after mixing in the seasonings. Then mixed the batches together and loaded in the stuffer.

Very nice looking dogs and thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for a good hot dog blend. I make the German frankfurters but they are different then a good hot dog. I know that running the meat through a food processor is hard on the processor. I was wandering if you have ever tried just regrinding the meat a couple of times with a fine grinding plate. It would not be hard on the grinder but should emulsify the meat quite well. 
   Which stuffer tip did you use to stuff these with and how did the stuffer work for you. Did you get your plumbing leaks stopped? I bet you and the boys will do a larger batch next time.

kirby

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 18, 2011, 09:47:56 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 18, 2011, 06:33:59 AM
My grinder never even seen the light of day during the making of these hot dogs. I used store bought beef and poke and emulsified them in small batches in the food processor after mixing in the seasonings. Then mixed the batches together and loaded in the stuffer.

Very nice looking dogs and thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for a good hot dog blend. I make the German frankfurters but they are different then a good hot dog. I know that running the meat through a food processor is hard on the processor. I was wandering if you have ever tried just regrinding the meat a couple of times with a fine grinding plate. It would not be hard on the grinder but should emulsify the meat quite well. 
   Which stuffer tip did you use to stuff these with and how did the stuffer work for you. Did you get your plumbing leaks stopped? I bet you and the boys will do a larger batch next time.

kirby
This was the first time I have tried making these. The original recipe says to emulsify by grinding. So yeah that is doable. The stuffer worked great I got the rate of feed set and then just moved over and concentrated feeding the casing. It was in auto-stuff mode!! ;D I think it was the 1/2 inch tip. I just used the one that the casing tube slid over the easiest. I am quite sure we will be making these again. Still have a couple leaks but I haven't messed with it yet, to fix them. Haven't decided on thread tape or pipe dope yet.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BAM1

Dogs look great.  I may be mistaken but I thought I read on a post a few months ago that you lived in Iowa is that right?
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BAM1 on April 18, 2011, 10:05:13 AM
Dogs look great.  I may be mistaken but I thought I read on a post a few months ago that you lived in Iowa is that right?

That would be correct. I do live in Iowa just about in the middle between Cedar Rapids and Dubuque.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BAM1

I actually live in Iowa City.  We're moving 1st of June to Cedar Rapids as we both work there. 
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

pikeman_95

I can tell you if I get the kinks out of my back the corporate office is going to go nuts. I have so many of these sausages I want to make. You guys are leaving me in the dust.

Tenpoint5

I have to admit I DID NOT find this recipe on my own. I have to give credit to the person that gave it to me. It is none other than our very own OU812 Thanks Curt!!

seemore

those dogs look great
seemore

devo

LOL    OU812 Thanks Curt!!  Had to copy and past it at a larger font hehehe

OU812

The recipe started out ok but I tweaked it to what you see here,
still missing some thing to make it even better.

I'm working on that.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on April 20, 2011, 06:26:08 AM

I'm working on that.  ;D

Fennel??

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 20, 2011, 06:43:24 AM
Quote from: OU812 on April 20, 2011, 06:26:08 AM

I'm working on that.  ;D

Fennel??

I was thinkin nutmeg.

ghost9mm

The hotdogs look just great and I thank you for posting the recipe...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

We had Hot Dogs for dinner tonight on the grill. Top with a little relish, some thick homemade hot sauce, and some Rudy's BBQ Sause. Dang Good Eats!!!

Fresh in off the grill

My Dinner Plate (2 Dogs, Whistle Berries, Dill Pickle Chips and sugar/cinnamon Pears)

OU812

That plate of eats looks GREAT, I'll be right over.

I like my dogs off the grill kinda sorta black too.

Oh Ya nice plate, as in the plate itsself.  ;D

Kinda like in the chow line way back when.  :D