Homemade Hot Dogs

Started by Tenpoint5, April 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Since I don't seem to get my toys put away in a timely enough fashion for the Corporate Office. I had to come up with a good excuse while on the way to the grocery store last night. "I didn't put my Stuffer away because I am going to make Hot Dogs tomorrow!!" Here's the short and sweet of it.

I mixed the spices, got some Moo Juice, and 2 eggs (Only needed the whites and I remembered I needed 2 after I took the picture) 2 pounds of Ground Poke and 2 pounds of 80/20 Ground Beef.

After mixing everything together and running it through the food processor. Loaded it all in the stuffer and stuffed into 32mm collagen casings. Tied off the links.

Dumped everybody into a 160º Sauna bath for about a half hour until the IT of the Hot Dogs was about 152-154º depending on which one I stuck with the thermopen.

Then everyone went for a swim in an Ice Bath until we cooled down to under 100º

Once everyone was cooled off. The casing just slid off like a used ....... Worked pretty good it did. I ended up with 18 Hot Dogs that are probably the best tasting Hot Dogs I have had in a long time. I will be making these again that's for sure. My boys wanted to eat the whole batch for supper after they had some samples. We had Yardbird instead. These are ready to eat but they are waiting for a grill near Me!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Hot dogs, is there any thing you wont try?  ;)   They sound great, but will you give out the spice mix?    Also you gave them a 160 degree bath but what did you use to do it?
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

OU812

Tenpoint5

Nepas aint the only one wif Secret Receipts!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Hmm maybe a little R&P recipe?

Tenpoint5

The Recipe I used started off like this: My changes are in Red and I just used my own spices not Penzeys he wouldn't share his.

Hot Dogs

1 lb porkbutt
1 lb GB (I used 80/20)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika (Penzeys California Sweet)
1/2 tsp ground mustard (Penzeys Ground Canadian Mustard)
1/4 tsp ground mace (Penzeys)
1/4 tsp ground marjoram (Penzeys)
1/2 tsp granulated onion (Penzeys) Dried Minced Onion ground fine with Mortar and Pestle
1/4 tsp granulated garlic (Penzeys)
1 1/2 tsp sugar (Organic sugar)
1 Tbl salt (Fine sea salt)  Hickory Smoked Mediterranean Sea Salt Ground to a powder in a Mortar and Pestle
1 tsp ground white pepper (Penzeys)
1 egg white (Home grown)
1/4 milk (Skim)

Grind the meat 3 times through 3/16" plate put in the freezer 30 min between each grind then add the seasonings mix well then in the freezer again for 30 min and grind again. Small batches Emulsified in a food processor

I poached these so I added 1 Tbl liquid smoke.

jiggerjams

Thanks Chris...sounds top shelf!!

OU812

Sounds gooood.

So.... how did the yard apes like em?

Tenpoint5

I had to beat them boys of mine off with a big stick!!! They wanted Hot Dogs for Supper and they wasn't backing down!! Although the youngest did somehow manage to inhale 3 chicken legs with GP and garlic salt on them.

dbondy

looks great 10.5 I,v got to give them a try soon and thanks for the recipe. ;D

NePaSmoKer

TMB

Yet another great post Chris!   Now if you would just make some and send out for testing!   ;D

I wonder if you could grind the meat with a food processor to get it the way you did with a normal grinder?
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: TMB on April 18, 2011, 06:04:00 AM
Yet another great post Chris!   Now if you would just make some and send out for testing!   ;D

I wonder if you could grind the meat with a food processor to get it the way you did with a normal grinder?

Yes in small batches so ya dont burn the motor out...unless you have a buffalo chopper  ;D

NePaSmoKer

MMMMMMMM

BEER

I mean hot dogs   ;D

Tenpoint5

My grinder never even seen the light of day during the making of these hot dogs. I used store bought beef and poke and emulsified them in small batches in the food processor after mixing in the seasonings. Then mixed the batches together and loaded in the stuffer.