What cut for pulled pork??

Started by _Bear_, April 18, 2011, 03:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, I want to smoke up some pulled pork and freeze it to use at the track while I am drag racing this year. On here I noticed the cut of choice is a pork butt, but it is obviously called something different in Canada. What is the cut called that the Canadians are using. How many lbs will I need to feed 10 people for 3 meals (my pit crew) over 3 days?
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

oakville smoker

Hello fellow Cannuck

You do need a pork butt for best results
I had a hell of a time finding them
Bottom line:  forget about the grocery stores and find a decent butcher shop

I live in  the west GTA and drive to Stoney Creek to get my butts
You will  have the same issue with briskets and bellies and most cust of meat you need for low and slow
I use the same place for all of it
Its called Highland Packers    They sell wholesale to boot and have a web site

I also found a place in Scarberia that would sell them

Hope that helps
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

smoker pete

Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder = Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt = pork shoulder = pork shoulder butt = pork blade shoulder ... I know there a other names  ;D

Here's a quick reference to a Pork Butt

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

mainly_a_lurker

In Ontario I usually find them labelled as a pork blade shoulder roast.  In most grocery stores you'll have a hard time finding a whole butt - usually they are cut into 2 or 3 pieces so you're only getting a 2-4 lb piece.  Your best bet would be a local butcher if you want a whole one.