Smoking shrimp

Started by Smokeville, April 20, 2011, 06:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi all;

I've been experimenting with smoking shrimp, and I need some advice on what others have tried. Keep in mind that here in Ontario, realistically there is no such thing as fresh never frozen shrimp. All the shrimp I have used came IQF.

First, I tried cold smoking cooked shrimp. Brined, brushed with maple syrup, they were pretty darn good.
Then, I tried hot smoking unpeeled deveined shrimp. I overcooked them and there was no way the shells would even peel off. They were used as garden fertilizer.

Next, I tried large uncooked tiger shrimp. I peeled them, brined them for 1/2 hour, brushed with garlic butter, air dried and then into the smoker with hickory.

I smoked at 100F for about 40 minutes, then moved to 200F. Maybe 40 minutes later I checked them just in time or I would have had more fertilizer....

My wife thought they were the best shrimp she has ever had.

What I will try next is smoking the shrimp without peeling them first. Is this the normal way to smoke shrimp? The shrimp I have are already cut to make the shells easy to remove. How will this affect the smokey flavour or the garlic-butter taste? My thinking is they will not be as tasty.

Thoughts?

Rich

KyNola

Rich,
I've smoked shrimp many times and always peel them first.  In my opinion the shrimp can't stay in the smoker long enough for the smoke to penetrate the shells without badly overcooking the shrimp. I smoke mine in the same manner that you did your last batch.  As a twist one time I brined them for about 30 minutes in water spiked with liquid crab boil and then into the smoker after allowing some time for them to air dry.  Just before going in the smoker I lightly sprinkled a bit of cajun rub on them.  I really liked them.

Smokeville

Thanks, that's a big help. I'm new at trying shrimp. I have a batch defrosted right now that are extremely easy-peel -- the shell seems to be ready to fall right off so maybe I will try a pound or two unpeeled to compare.

Rich

muebe

I like what you are doing with the cold smoking of the shrimp. For me I like my shrimp grilled. So cold smoking them peeled and then giving them a heavy coating of butter with garlic seems to be the way to go. Then a couple minutes of searing on a hot grill. And then another coating of butter with garlic and some squeezed lemon after you remove them from the grill to cool them back down.....Dang now I am hungry ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokeville

You think you're hungry --- I just peeled 5 lbs of shrimp!

devo

I was wondering how shrimp would come out in the smoker. You didn't find them to rubbery?

Smokeville

Hi Devo!

The pre-cooked shrimp came out as if they were slightly waterlogged - similar to how IQF stuff tastes most times.

All the raw shrimp have tasted great. No rubbery texture.

Rich

josbocc

After reading this thread..., had to go to Hannafords and pick up some of that "on-sale" Jumbo Shrimp (raw).  Brined for half an hour with 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 quart water, and just for good measure a can of Labatt's Blue  ;D ;D ;D  (In the brine, it took me two cans to get through the prep).  Butter and Old Bay for the finishing touches.

It's in the Bradley right now with one puck Alder, and one puck Hickory.  Should know in about 45 minutes how we did.  Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smokeville

josbocc!!!

What's the verdict?

Rich

Smokeville

Ok, here are the results of the big shrimp smoke yesterday. Trays were double racked.

Tray 1 -- 1/2 with Thai spices, 1/2 with Pacific Seafood spices. These are from http://www.worldspice.com/blends/blends.shtml
Tray 2 -- 1/2 with Greek spices, 1/2 with Roasted Garlic & Pepper. These are from Club House.
Tray 3 -- Caribbean Jerk spice from Cool Runnings
Tray 4 -- Jan's Rub
Tray 5 -- Lemon/pepper
Tray 6 -- garlic butter & Piri-Piri (Portuguese hot sauce)

All the above were raw and peeled.

Tray 7 -- garlic butter & Piri-Piri <--- raw unpeeled.

Cold smoked for 1 hour with Oak, followed by hot smoke with Oak at 200F until all turned pink. (took too long in my DBS6).

The Greek and Lemon/Pepper were good. Thai and Pacific Seafood were a waste of good shrimp.
Jan's rub was a disappointment.
Jerk was never try again.

Both batches of garlic butter with P-P were amazing. Some of the unpeeled that were towards the rear were slightly overdone, even though I rotated the racks. We could eat these like candy.

Rich

century

How long and what temp have you been doing hot smoked shrimp?

Smokeville

Hi century;

For a single rack of medium sized shrimp, try 200F for about an hour. Or 180F works too. These things cook quick and seem to go from white to pink in a very short time. And the size of the shrimp factors into it.

Rich

josbocc

Rich,

The verdict is................, my co-workers were happy, but I think that I might have used just a tad too much Old Bay seasoning.  They were tasty, but just a might bit salty.  Next time, we cut down on the Old Bay, and perhaps increase the Labatts  ;D ;D ;D

It did make a very nice smoked shrimp salad though.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smokeville

Jeff, after the smoke I put all the shrimp in separate bags and in the fridge overnight. Yesterday I sampled them again before freezing and I think there was a great improvement. Especially the Jan's Rub, which had really disappointed me.

For Easter Sunday we've got most of our family coming for the afternoon and dinner and I plan to get everyone to sample each flavour.

Rich

Smokeville

Quote from: josbocc on April 22, 2011, 09:26:54 AM
Rich,

The verdict is................, my co-workers were happy, but I think that I might have used just a tad too much Old Bay seasoning.  They were tasty, but just a might bit salty.  Next time, we cut down on the Old Bay, and perhaps increase the Labatts  ;D ;D ;D

It did make a very nice smoked shrimp salad though.

Jeff

I made a stir fry last week and added some of the garlic butter shrimp and they were fantastic.