Smoking shrimp

Started by Smokeville, April 20, 2011, 06:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBIceman

I marinated mine for two hours in Italian dressing than smoked at 200 for 40 minutes useing Alder, peeled raw. No leftovers.
Ice fishing rocks

If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.

Smokeville

Quote from: GBIceman on April 23, 2011, 01:55:56 PM
I marinated mine for two hours in Italian dressing than smoked at 200 for 40 minutes useing Alder, peeled raw. No leftovers.

Sounds great!

josbocc

Rich,

After the work "luncheon" there wasn't anything left to refigerate (or freeze).  The other two pounds of Jumbos found their way to Kabobs on the grill Friday evening.  Next time the little guys go on sale, gonna try it again.  I really like the stir fry idea.  That's a "Must Do!"

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Smokeville

The final results of the taste test was that all of them were good. Lemon Pepper, Garlic butter came out on top, followed by Roasted Garlic and Greek.

Letting them sit overnight helped "steep" the flavours, and freezing also helped, I think.

tsquared

Great topic Smokeville! Very timely for me as I've had my boat moored at a marina in Saanich inlet for the month here on the island specifically for prawns. Out of four traps, we've been getting 150 to 235 prawns a day. (I'm only allowed to keep 200--it kills me to throw back the extras). I am going to try some this coming weekend with the butter and piri piri--that sounds awesome. These puppies will be 1 hour out of the water when they go in the smoker. I'll try and post some pics.
T2

Smokeville

Tsquared, here are the details on the garlic butter:

(1) melt about 1/2lb butter
(2) press fresh garlic (lots of it) through a garlic press and add to butter
(3) add a number of drops of the piri-piri -- this is to your desired taste.
(4) keep warm -- not hot -- for maybe 15 minutes to let the flavour merge
(5) peel and de-vein shrimp
(6) pour cooling butter mixture over shrimp to coat, place on racks
--or--
(6) place shrimp on racks and brush with butter mixture

Smoke!

Rich

tsquared

Thanks Rich--I'll give it a try.
Tom

Smokeville

Quote from: tsquared on April 27, 2011, 08:00:46 PM
Thanks Rich--I'll give it a try.
Tom

Photos please!

I'd love to see the size of them!

tsquared

So here's today's catch that I got afterwork this pm. You're seeing 200 prawn tails mostly covering 4 Dungeness crab. I measured the prawns yesterday when I was cleaning them--head on the large ones are 6 " from the tip of their "spike" to the tail. I pop the heads off as soon as I get back to the wharf and the tails are 3". Tomorrow I' try and smoke some up after I pull the traps and take some pics. I have to have them ready for the hockey game so I can watch the Canucks beat Nashville tomorrow!  ;D
T2

Smokeville

Oh My! Can hardly wait.

Smokeville

Yesterday, I bought some IQF cooked shrimp 31-40 size. Defrosted, brined 20 minutes, dried, glazed with maple syrup and cold smoked for 2 hours with Crown royal. Wife said they are about the best shrimp she has had.

I put them all (1700 grams worth) in a stainless steel bowl to "steep" overnight and today I'll bag and freeze portion sizes. Since the shrimp have already been frozen once while cooked I want to see how the texture holds up.

Rich

tsquared

So here are some pics from today--from the trap to the smoker.

My present to myself --the trap puller makes hauling from 165 ft a lot easier.

checking the traps--we've been averaging 45-50 prawns per trap.

I did one tray of peeled using a recipe of meltedbutter, EVO. lots of crushed garlic, lemon zest and juice of 1/2 lemon and a dash of colon cleanser for heat.

I also did a tray of unpeeled tails with the same recipe just to get an idea of how much smoke taste would come through. i was hoping the unpeeled tails would still taste smokey so I wouldn't have to peel rawprawnn tails--not my favourite activity.

Here they both are after 1 hour of smoking.

I put in 2 hours worth of apple pucks but pulled them out after  only 1 hour because the prawns were cooked. With fresh prawns  the taste and moisture are precious so I decided I would shut it down after an  hour of smoke when I realized both peeled and unpeeled were cooked. I sauteed some onions, nuked yams, our own asparagus, red peppers in some oil  and a bit of chili powder and salt. I made some wraps with the smoked prawns and vegie mixture and a salad for supper--awesome.  I think if I got some fresh tortillas next time this would be an unbelievable meal. As far as the prawns themselves go--the peeled ones definately had a nicer ,smokier taste than the unpeeled. I had the temp at 180 and I might lower that next time to give a little more time but i was still quite happy with the final product. Another thing to smoke! :)
T2

Mr Walleye

Those look fantastic T2!  :P  8)

It just doesn't get any fresher than that!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Oh ooooo....

Overtime T2

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tsquared

i need to give a colon cleanser enema to the Sedins to get them going... ;D
T2