13 lb cooked ham

Started by zueth, April 21, 2011, 09:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I have a 13 lb cooked ham and would like to cook it in smoker to give it some flavor.  I was going to use the Bradley Glazed Ham recipe.

Do I need to bring the IT to 140? 

Should I do FTC after it reaches IT for about 1 hour before serving?

Habanero Smoker

Hi zueth;

I answered some of your questions on the other thread, but in that thread you were going to add smoke and then reheat the next day.

It is recommended that you bring the internal temperature to 140°F. I haven't seen the Bradley Glazed Ham recipe, so I can't comment on that.

There is no need to FTC a ham, unless you have it ready to serve way to early. It is better just to tent foil it, and if you are a little early like an hour, keep it in a 200°F oven, but take it out and let it rest awhile before slicing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Thanks, do you think that it taste better if you let it sit overnight in the fridge and reheat the next day? or should i just smoke/cook the day of, let rest for 15/30 minutes and slice the ham up?

The maple glazed ham calls for mustard/maple syrup/black peeper/vegetable oil/cider vinegar/onion powder/parika/salt to be mixed up and applied to ham the night before then wrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge. Take the ham out 1 hour before cooking and cook/smoke with maple bisquettes fro 5 to 6 hours at 220.  Applying a glaze of maple syrup/bourbon.mustard the last hour a couple of times.

Do you think that 5-6 hours of smoke will be too much?

Habanero Smoker

I feel that it taste better when the smoke is applied a day or two ahead of time, then tightly wrap in plastic and let it "age". Placing it in the smoker and smoke/cooking it just prior to serving you will still get a good tasting ham, but I feel the smoke is slightly more bitter.

I found the Bradley Maple Ham Recipe you are using, and it does not provide much information on smoking/cooking. The amount of smoke will depend on your personal taste. If your ham is already smoked, and/or you don't like too strong of a flavor then cut the smoke time down to 3 - 4 hours - maple bisquettes are pretty mild in smoke flavor but it is always better to have too little smoke than too much. If it is not enough smoke, you now know you can increase the smoke the next time you smoke/cook a ham. This is where resting the ham overnight will help, because the smoke flavor mellows out a lot.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Ham turned out great, thanks everyone.