How to make snack sticks?

Started by 1wired1, April 23, 2011, 10:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

Wondering if there is a thread with a how to for making snack sticks? Wife got me a grinding attachment and sausage making attachment for our Kitchenaid mixer. I know these aren't the best products, but hopefully it will do.

I need to order casings, would Cabella's be the place to order from?

I've never ground meat or made sausage before, but after getting bit by the smoking bug, I'm ready to try.

Thanks in advance for any advice and hopefully for a link.

1w1

watchdog56

I use LEM casings you can get at either Mills Fleet Farm or any Gander mountain store. I have a small grinder I bought at Gander mountain and it does the job ok but it is best to make sure your meat is real cold,almost frozen when grinding. That way the fat does not get to warm. My grinder came with stuffing attachments and after a couple of batches I went out and bought a 5lb stuffer with metal gears. If you want to save yourself a lot of time that would be the way to go.
As far as a recipe here is a site that has many recipes.  You can type in Greggs spicey sticks in the search box and find a nice recipe.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

1wired1

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 23, 2011, 10:56:37 AM
I use LEM casings you can get at either Mills Fleet Farm or any Gander mountain store. I have a small grinder I bought at Gander mountain and it does the job ok but it is best to make sure your meat is real cold,almost frozen when grinding. That way the fat does not get to warm. My grinder came with stuffing attachments and after a couple of batches I went out and bought a 5lb stuffer with metal gears. If you want to save yourself a lot of time that would be the way to go.
As far as a recipe here is a site that has many recipes.  You can type in Greggs spicey sticks in the search box and find a nice recipe.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Thanks Watchdog, don't know why I didn't check there before for recipes. I've found plenty of other good recipes there. Thanks for the info on the casings and stuffer.

watchdog56

Habanero Smoker

The KitchenAid grinder works well for small batches. I have ground up to ten pounds, at one setting. As far as the stuffer, I never had much luck with that device.

Some tips for using the KitchenAid grinder.
-Do not over tighten the hand nut. Only tighten until it makes snug contact. If you tighten more it will place too much force from the plate against the blade.

-Cut meat into strips thin enough to feed through the tub without force.

-Do not try to force the meat done through the tube. I was in a hurry and did this and ended up bending the shaft.

-Grind at setting 4 or 5

-Make sure all parts of the grinder are cold as well as the meat, before you begin grinding.

-I only bring out half the meat at a time while grinding, and keep the rest in the refrigerator to ensure it stays cold until I can grind it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

1wired1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 23, 2011, 01:19:59 PM
The KitchenAid grinder works well for small batches. I have ground up to ten pounds, at one setting. As far as the stuffer, I never had much luck with that device.

Some tips for using the KitchenAid grinder.
-Do not over tighten the hand nut. Only tighten until it makes snug contact. If you tighten more it will place too much force from the plate against the blade.

-Cut meat into strips thin enough to feed through the tub without force.

-Do not try to force the meat done through the tube. I was in a hurry and did this and ended up bending the shaft.

-Grind at setting 4 or 5

-Make sure all parts of the grinder are cold as well as the meat, before you begin grinding.

-I only bring out half the meat at a time while grinding, and keep the rest in the refrigerator to ensure it stays cold until I can grind it.

Thanks for all those tips, I wouldn't have done any of that.

Keymaster

Did you look at KevinG Tutorial Pinned to the top of the sausage making area,its awesome? I also use Lem sometimes for ordering cases and they also have kits that have the seasonings cure and casings all together. I wish you luck and don't hesitate asking questions :)