second try at brisket

Started by bigmikey, April 23, 2011, 11:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmikey

Tried Brisket on my very first smoke ever, did not have a good thermometer. I had no idea what my IT was. It tasted great but was tough to cut and a little chewy. Going to try again for Easter dinner. I plan to start at 2am, hopefully be IT of 185 by 2pm, with a 3-4 hour FTC.  Also first time using mesquite bisquettes.

Savage

Hi Bigmickey, I'm trying out my smoker for the first time this morning. Cooking a brisket as well. I'm going to follow the recipe in the bisquettes box. I hope you have better luck this time. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
What we know is not much. What we don't know is enormous.

devo

You gone to the expence of buying a smoker and buying meat so why not go out and buy a good meat probe thermometer?

Savage

The meat probe thermometer is in the meat :)
What we know is not much. What we don't know is enormous.

devo

I was referring to this post
Thats like driving a car with out a Speedometer Ya I know i'm going fast but I don't have a cue just how fast. Trouble is if you don't know your internal temp you could kill someone
Quotedid not have a good thermometer. I had no idea what my IT was

bigmikey

I was referring to my first smoke. I wouldn't try that again without a thermometer.

Just over 6 hours in, IT is 161,Moving to oven.

bigmikey

Brisket must be stalled, still sitting at 162 in the oven. I put some ribs in the smoker to help pass time ;D

bigmikey

13.5 hours to hit 185 IT. FTC for 3 hours until dinner.

bigmikey

Ribs after 3 hours of smoke

Ribs after 2.5 hours in oven wrapped in foil with some apple juice. Then mopped and back in for last 45 minutes unwrapped. Man I'm getting hungry

GusRobin

looking good, I would have taken a quality control piece by now. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Pachanga

Righteous looking bark on that brisket.

I personally finish my briskets in the Bradley where it is surrounded by moist heat. A dry heat helps promotes the Maillard Reaction but it can also be produced in a moist Bradley.

If you are interested here are some thoughts on moist heat at the recipe site.

I-Prefer-to-Smoke-Totally-Naked
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?775-I-Prefer-to-Smoke-Totally-Naked&p=1176#post1176

Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

bigmikey

Another failed Brisket. Hit 185 IT and the FTC'd for 3 hours. It cut way easier than last time and tasted good, but was not juicy at all and very dry in spots.
on another note, the ribs were AMAZING for the 2nd straight week.

GusRobin

couple things:
1) are you cutting the brisket against the grain?
2) when taking the IT are you taking it in the thinner flat or the thicker point? My first few briskets came out dry. I was cooking until the thicker part was 185* which ended up with the rest being dry. So now I take the temp in the thin part. Take it out when that part reached 185*. Lasdt time I separated the point and the flat when I cooked them. They were done at different times so I took each out as it hit 185*.
Also, as staed before, if you are buying "select" grade, that could be part of the problem. Around here most are select, but when I can get a choice brisket I can tell the difference.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

bigmikey

Gus thanks for the tips

I did go in the fattest part I think, wasn't really aware that I should go in thinnest part. There wasn't a huge difference between the thickest and thinnest parts. I don't know enough about Brisket obviously, I thought the flat and point were 2 separate pieces of meat. Mine said flat on it. Is the thicker part the point and thinner the flat??? 
Look at my first picture with the label on it, it said Usda choice. Is that what you mean by choice and select? Sorry for the stupid questions

As far as cutting against the grain, I cut the Brisket in half and cut one half one way and other half the other way. They both cut very easy and I couldn't tell any difference in taste.

GusRobin

hmm- the third picture sure looks like it is a full packer. May just be the angle. Here is a good tutorial on briskets and cuts.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=brisket+flat+point+fat