Busy Sunday

Started by Drac, April 24, 2011, 05:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Hi all,

Had a busy day today.  Had two ovens, dehydrator, smoker and even the microwave going at the same time.  Surprisingly everything went smoothly.  Didn't even bust the casings when stuffing the snack sticks, a first.

Started off with 8 pounds of beef/pork snack sticks using the Sausage Maker's pepper snack stick.  A co-worker who supplies me with venison and wild boar meat likes these.  So does his wife who stated when he took out the last pack "You're not taking those into work."  These went through the dehydrator -

Moved on to 6 pounds venison/pork summer sausage.  Did two 3 pound batches, one plain and one with roasted hatch chilies.  In both I used fermento, soy powder and Shiner Black Luager in place of water.  Done this in the past and everyone loved the added flavor.  A quick pic in the smoker as I was rotating the racks.  Still have some more cooking to do.  Hope to have them done by bed time -

While that is going I started up dinner.  In this case I went with your guys recommendations on the GP and did a tri-tip.  Added just a little salt and threw it into the convection oven (since I was smoking the SS) for a short time.  Even though it got a little over cooked (my only probe was in the SS) it was still tasty and tender.  Reminds me of the Prime Rib Rub from Pensey's - 

Look at all the jus, damn tasty -

Starting to get the hang of it with your guy's help.

Jim

I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

ghost9mm

Dang... Jim you were a busy fella today, looks like you had a enough time to get something to eat..that is one heck of a job partner ...well done
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

You kicked butt on the meat today Mister, everything looks top notch!!!! :o :o :o

SL2010

Those sticks look killer how did they taste with the wild boar i have heard that it carries a different flavor from regular pork everything looks great

Drac

Thanks guys.  Should have pics of the SS up this afternoon but the test samples turned out well, two small 3" ones made from the extra meat.

Quote from: SL2010 on April 25, 2011, 04:37:09 AM
Those sticks look killer how did they taste with the wild boar i have heard that it carries a different flavor from regular pork everything looks great

The SS had venison but the snack sticks were just beef and pork.  So far the boar I've gotten from him have been chops which I haven't had a chance to eat.  Every time I plan a dinner around them something comes up :'(

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Have the belly (cut up into two sections, one regular and one maple) and a loin curing.  Will rinse, soak, dry in the fridge tonight and into the smoker first thing when I get home tomorrow.  Only debate is whether I should use hickory or pecan?  I'm leaning toward hickory. 

Any input?

Thanks,
Jim

SL2010

Drac

I think the SS came out ok -

The inside -

Tastes good.  BTW am I the only one who likes to nuke his sausage a few seconds before eating?

Jim