Cold Smoking without a cold smoke adapter

Started by zueth, April 25, 2011, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I want to cold smoke some steaks and haven't purchased the cold smoke adapter and don't feel like building one just yet.

Can I just put ice cubes in the bowl will that be sufficient?

What is the ideal temp? what is too high?

beefmann

zeuth, yes you  can put ice cubes in the water  bowl and cold smoke that  way, Generally i do not use ice, I turn on the smoke generator, run it for a 3 hour  smoke .. then start the cooking process and comes out quite well, im sure others will chime in on this as well.

zueth

I was also thinking that I could put a disposable tray on the bottom and fill up with ice?

what are everybody's thoughts?

Quarlow

Zueth it will work. whatever it takes to keep the temps below 95 degrees. That is the max I would go for temp. And if you find the temp going up just open the door for a minute or two. You can make a real quick cold smoker with just a card board box and piece of dryer pipe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

I've filled up the water bowl with ice water, and added a pan of ice on the lowest rack. If it still gets too warm you can open the door to bring down the temp.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

zueth

I put in a pan of ice water and it never got above 75, worked good, thanks for the input.