900 watt element installed in OBS

Started by muebe, April 26, 2011, 11:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I installed the 900 watt element that I got from Grainger. I am not using the fan. Was testing it this morning with just the v-tray installed. I set the PID for 225F and it climbed really quick :o I am going to re-calibrate the PID for this one but it seems to be keeping a pretty even 225F ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Looks like the smoker came that way.   :o

Every thing I have read says them finned elements are to have air flow
to work the way they were designed.

Just sayin.  ;D

muebe

Well I just checked it and it has been holding steady at 225F to 224F so I may not need to re-calibrate the PID.

OU812....You might be right about it needing a fan but IMHO I think that would be needed if you are using it without a PID. Once it gets close to the target temp the PID is throttling the power on and off. If it was getting reduced voltage but still constantly heating then I think a fan would be a must or it will burn out. And then again I could be completely wrong and end up burning up my new element :D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TMB

Keep us posted this looks interesting.  Might be a fix for those that cook in the snow and wind up in the great white north!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Habanero Smoker

I recall one member installed the 900w element without a fan; it ran well for a while but the element eventually burned out. I believe he had a PID controlling it, but I am not sure. He may have wired it through the OBS heat controller.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Got my fingers crossed for ya?  ;D

It would be great if it works long term.

Any chance you could keep track of the hours in use on that bad boy?

TMB

Quote from: OU812 on April 26, 2011, 01:18:57 PM
Got my fingers crossed for ya?  ;D

It would be great if it works long term.

Any chance you could keep track of the hours in use on that bad boy?

Knowing Muebe he has an hour clock running every time he fires that puppy off!   Probably found one in an old boat yard somewhere  :D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

muebe

It ran for 2 hours at 225F this morning with no racks and only the v-tray. I will start an hour log and see how far I get. Also my puck burner is located out of the cabinet so maybe not having it in there is better for the new element(less additional heat). And the element is located more than a inch away from the back wall of the cabinet(hard to tell from the picture) so there will ne room for the heat at the back to dissipate.

The highest temp I plan to go with this element is 250F...

Everyone cross your fingers ;D

viper125

Did you just change the original for this or did you do some other mod on it?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

I am with Habs. I think I remember someone doing this without a fan. Was it Mr Walleye? in one of his trial runs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Quote from: viper125 on April 26, 2011, 02:42:01 PM
Did you just change the original for this or did you do some other mod on it?

I basically did a swap of elements. Had to extend wires and add mounting brackets but nothing else. I can easily install the old element back in.

beefmann

great heater, you do need to run a fan or blower or they do burn up

ghost9mm

Good Luck partner, have my fingers crossed...but it will be nice just to see how long this element goes.. we'll all be watchin...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

I read on here original element wiring was too light of gauage for that many amps. Dont really know. I  talked to the selller of the 900 finned and  from what it says it has a stealth temp to 1200 degrees. Also said finns are for cooling and didnt need a fan blowing on it. Said that wasnt written in gold either.LOL Be interesting to see but I 'd think it would be ok. Cabinet heat should never cause heater to go to 1200.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

TestRocket