First brisket ever

Started by Bobdelasmoke, April 26, 2011, 02:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobdelasmoke

Hey guys, smoked a ~5lbs brisket yesterday, here's the pics.

Forgot to take a picture before rubbing it so here it is rubbed.

4 hours of smoke: 1 hickory 1maple 1 apple 1 maple. It took 8 hours to reach an IT of 185.

few sec out of the smoker

I then FTCd for an hour with apple juice

Final result

Overall, it was good but not really what I was expecting. Never had real smoked meat before, I was always getting it from the groceries stores so I was expecting something similar. This one was more like a "well done" roasted beef to me but with a smoke flavor. Next time, I'll probably stick to 1 or maybe 2 smoke flavor because I couldn't taste something in particular with this mix.

The smoke, smell and the slowly rising IT was really exciting. I'll definately do it again but maybe smoke it to a lower IT. Next thing on the list is Ribs  ;D

SL2010

It looks really good i use hickory pucks for everything was the fat side up and what temp did you cook at I bet those made some real good sandwiches

Savage

Hey Bob it looks great. I did my first this past sunday. It was a little dry but tasted great. I've had sliced brisket and cut some up to make chille and now for Fajitas. Next is Ribs.
What we know is not much. What we don't know is enormous.

jimmyb

I was always told that briskets are tough to get right. First one I ever did came out fantastic. Better than I could have expected. I thought they were pretty easy after that first one came out. After that I did a few that I thought were dry and then one that was perfect. I am hit or miss. Haven't figured it out yet but when you get it just right you'll know it. Heaven!

Bobdelasmoke

@SL, Fat side was up and the temp was at 225ish

OU812

That there is one good lookin hunk of beef.

Was that brisket select or choice?

I have tried both and the select were hit or miss when it came to tenderness and moistness.

I only smoke/cook choice now.

I like Oak with beef.

OldHickory

I always get choice beef, it does seem to retain the juicy characteristic, and the smoke--hickory.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Bobdelasmoke

I don't know if it was select or choice, the butcher sliced it in front of me tho. I'll ask next time.

Chili Head

Don't forget to take notes! It's much easier to duplicate good cooks if you have something to reference to.

Not a bad looking brisket at all! Them fajitas are gona rock!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk