Pork shoulder advice

Started by Dogtiredwoof, April 27, 2011, 05:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogtiredwoof

Yesterday while trying to cook a round roast my Bradley smoker passed away at the ripe old age of two weeks! Bradley is sending me out a new element, but my planned meal of pulled pork spaghetti is kind of left in limbo.
The lady at Bradley said I can still smoke the pork in the Bradley and finished in the oven.
I have to say I'm a little dissapointed as I really wanted to cook this in the smoker. I have a feeling we are not going to be able to have this for tonight.
So I am guessing I have to cold smoke this shoulder for what four hours or so? Then throw it in the oven at 220 for what 6-8 hours?
Will the smoke smell ever come out of my oven? This element issue has thrown wrench in two meals already that had to be finishen in the oven, and now my oven smells like smoke everytime I turn it on. I like smoke but not in my chocolate chip cookies!

DTW

Keymaster

Sorry to hear about your defective heating element and your smoky stove :( I found this site online that has various ways to rid smells from your oven, most of which include elbow grease but there is one that uses ammonia and water at 200° overnight in a bowl which might work. Hope this might help :)
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-oven-smells/

ArnieM

Sorry to hear about the problem DTW.  Four hours of cold smoke should certainly do it.

If you do go the oven route, I'd suggest increasing the temp somewhat to 240-260 if you can.  This will reduce the cook time some.

Here's an off-the-wall idea.  Basically, all you want is a box with heat.  Find a 1000 watt hotplate at a local store while applying the smoke.  Many run in the $15-$30 range.

Remove the smoke generator and tape some foil over the hole when done smoking.  Remove the water bowl.  Put the meat in a foil pan and put it back into the smoker.  Put the hotplate on the bottom of the smoker and run the power cord out of the door.  You'd have to monitor the inside cabinet temp to get the hotplate set appropriately.

Note:  I've never tried this.  You'd have to make sure the hotplate fits under the V-Tray.  For that matter, the V-Tray could be removed because the meat is in a pan.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ghost9mm

Really sorry to hear that your Bradley Smoker quit on you...and I am sure Bradley will stand behind it..but that does not solve the problem of the smell of smoke in the oven..I would take some ammonia and just set in the oven for a day or two...and put a sign on the over door so no one uses the oven..
The other thing we have done is that my wife found a electric roaster at a yard sale for 12 dollars and we use that to finish anything off in case of bad weather, or for what ever reason we cannot finish in the smoker...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Dogtiredwoof

I ended up I guess cold smoking it, then I put it in a foil pan with some apple juice and beef broth I've indirect heat. Very yummy. Wish I could have done it all in the smoker, bur what are you going to do.
With any luck there might be some left for my husband when he gets home from work!

smoke em if you got em

Wow! That looks pretty good.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill