Tri-Tip FTC

Started by zueth, April 28, 2011, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

How long do you guys FTC for a Tri-Tip?  I did one hour, but it seemed too long.

The meat was still warm but not hot.

Thanks.

beefmann

maybe 30 minutes depending on its it, if it is around 140 to 150, maybe 15 minutes, 160 to 170 i have done a 2 hour and was stil on the hotter  side, though have cooled  quite a bit, Tri tip does not retain a lot of  heat because of its size, meaning  smaller then a lot of  other cuts.

muebe

It depends on the size of the tip and what IT you took it to...Most of the time a 1/2 hour is fine. You really do not want it steaming hot when you cut it also. I usually cook my tips to a IT of 140F so a short FTC works for me ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

I brought it to a IT of 140, so I am thinking 1/2 hour should be good next time.

Thanks,

Habanero Smoker

Why do you want to FTC a cut like tri-tips?

They are easy to calculate the cooking time, and there is no tough connective tissue as you would find in butts and brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

As it cools the juices draw back into the meat if it is tightly wrapped with foil. I find the tri-tip is very moist with a short FTC. There is less juice left on the cutting board. Plus it keeps me from picking at it while it cools ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

zueth

Ok, maybe I don't need to FTC a Tri-Tip, what does everyone think?

OldHickory

I cook my tri-tip to an IT of 130* for rare, which is the way I like it.  That usually works out to 57min/#, and PID temp set at 220*, with wind and ambient temps the variable factors.  Beef needs to sit and stabilize after a cook to keep the juices in the meat.  I use the FTC as much as 1 1/2hr  for this and it keeps the meat warm and for my convenience to serve.  If you want it hot at the time of serving you might give it a quick blast in a 500* oven.  Just be careful not to start cooking again if you want it rare.  This will also crisp up the outside slightly.  Tri-tip normally is thinner toward the tip and will be more to a med-well done , which I slice for those who like it that way.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Michael

Interesting.  I've always grilled my tri-tip.  I never considered putting it into the BS. 

I hit it hard with pepper and a light rub and then toss it on to my 500 degree grill and give it about 4 minutes and then flip it over to another hot section of the grill for another 3-4 minutes to get that nice char.  I then put it on my warming rack that is about 6" above the grill and I cook it with the burner beneath it on low, the middle burner on low and the outside burner on high.  Depending on the size of the tri-tip I average about 40 minutes total grilling time.  It comes out very juicy, extremely tasty and pretty tender.

Has anyone compared grilled tri-tip with slow-smoked?  The next time I see a sale on tri-tip I will have to toss it into the BS for a comparison test. - Mike

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: muebe on April 28, 2011, 02:00:20 PM
As it cools the juices draw back into the meat if it is tightly wrapped with foil. I find the tri-tip is very moist with a short FTC. There is less juice left on the cutting board. Plus it keeps me from picking at it while it cools ;D

If you are obtaining the results you are looking for then it is all good.

I understand; I do something similar for roasts, but I just tightly wrap in foil with a little liquid while it is resting; a tip I read in a Cooks Illustrated article. But I don't place it in a cooler, or do this for an extended time as it may raise the internal temperature too high for what I like. Most cuts of meat; depending on their mass don't require a very long resting period.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: Michael on April 28, 2011, 04:56:06 PM
Interesting.  I've always grilled my tri-tip.  I never considered putting it into the BS. 

I hit it hard with pepper and a light rub and then toss it on to my 500 degree grill and give it about 4 minutes and then flip it over to another hot section of the grill for another 3-4 minutes to get that nice char.  I then put it on my warming rack that is about 6" above the grill and I cook it with the burner beneath it on low, the middle burner on low and the outside burner on high.  Depending on the size of the tri-tip I average about 40 minutes total grilling time.  It comes out very juicy, extremely tasty and pretty tender.

Has anyone compared grilled tri-tip with slow-smoked?  The next time I see a sale on tri-tip I will have to toss it into the BS for a comparison test. - Mike

I have both grilled and smoked tri-tip many times. I prefer smoked over grilled. If you want that char flavor you can smoke the tri-tip to 130F IT and then finish on a searing hot grill. Or cold smoke the meat for a couple of hours then follow your cooking method on the grill. When I grill tri-tip I like to hit the outside of it with a searing hot cast iron skillet then place on the warming rack in the grill on low. But honestly however you cook it I do not think you can go wrong with tri-tip ;D

muebe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 29, 2011, 01:48:40 AM
Quote from: muebe on April 28, 2011, 02:00:20 PM

If you are obtaining the results you are looking for then it is all good.

I understand; I do something similar for roasts, but I just tightly wrap in foil with a little liquid while it is resting; a tip I read in a Cooks Illustrated article. But I don't place it in a cooler, or do this for an extended time as it may raise the internal temperature too high for what I like. Most cuts of meat; depending on their mass don't require a very long resting period.

Habs... being that I take the tip to a IT of 140F it does not really tend to cook too much more during FTC. Now someone taking it to a higher IT might be a different story. My version of FTC for tri-tip is just tightly wrapped with foil and then stashed into a microwave. So I guess it is FM and not FTC for tri-tip :D

Brisket Lover

Im jealous!  No tri tip around here and if you can find it its $100000/lb, well almost :)

OU812

The only place I found, so far, that carrys a Tri-Tip wants $11.99/lb.  >:(

muebe

I just picked up 3 more tri-tips today for $2.79 lb  ::)