Classic Canadian/American style "Smokie"

Started by ExpatCanadian, April 29, 2011, 12:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Guys/Gals, I'm after a recipe for the classic "Smokie" that I grew up with.  I know that's probably a silly request...  but the sort of smokie I mean is the kind you buy in the supermarket...  6 or 8 in a soft pack sealed bag, sometime with cheese, sometimes not...  always smoked (or at least smoke flavoured).  I say supermarket, because that's what I grew up with...  I fully expect to make better!!

I'm sure what I am looking for is in one of the zillions of resources available to me, Len Poli, the Marianski books, Kutas, Ruhlman etc etc....  but I can't work out which of the smoked sausage recipes would be closest?  Maybe a smoked Kielbasa...  or even a non-emulsified smoked Bratwurst....  stuffed into natural hog middles to give the nice classic curved shape?  I did some fresh unsmoked Bratwurst a few weeks back that turned out AMAZING, and very aesthetically pleasing if I do say so myself....  so this is what I am going for in a smokie:

Anyway, if anyone can point towards their version or favourite recipe I'd appreciate it!

Keymaster

I can't help you with the recipe but those sure do look mouth watering, Kudos!!! :)

cobra6223

Sorry I can't help with a recipe. but the smokies I remember from the are the exact size of hotdog but have a sausage flavor, they do appear to have been smoked, hence the name smokie I guess and I do believe the ones I know of were made by Oscar Meyer . They were very very good, ate them on hotdog buns all the time and now when I look for them in the store they seem to hard to find . Thanks for wonderful memories of eating them and if you do find a recipe please share , the two posted here I believe aren't what your looking for . Thanks Tim

MidKnightRider

Try this link
productlocator.kraftfoods.com/kraftfoods/productlocator.htm
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

ExpatCanadian

Thanks for your replies....

It turns out I kind of accidentally discovered what I was looking for!  I had decided to make another batch of fresh Bratwurst for the BBQ, but at the last minute threw in some Cure#1 and decided to smoke them.  I used Rytek Kutas recipe in "Great Sausage Recipes" and did NOT emulsify....  I just double ground through my smallest plate to a very fine consistency.  They went into the fridge overnight and into the smoker once the pulled pork was done.  I wanted them smoking as the guests were arriving because I find that most of the time when you smoke for a BBQ, especially in a Bradley, it's all done in advance and there's no "Ooooh aaaahhh" factor (except in the taste of course!).

Anyway, timed it perfectly, they got about 2 hours smoke by the time the guests started arriving and when anyone wanted one I could march up to the smoker, open the door with a flourish, snip off a link or 2 and emerge victorious from the cloud of hickory smoke to slap them on the BBQ for their final sizzle session.  They were even more popular than the pulled pork....  out of a 25lb batch, I think I've only got about 5 or 6 lbs left!  Anyone who tried one, ended up having more than one, and I suspect one of my female friends ate 4  :o, but I stopped counting and she's not owning up to anything  ;)

But...  I have digressed from my original point...  although Bratwurst in recipe.... the smoke essentially turned these into a pretty acceptable version of exactly what my OP was asking for...  a classic style smokie which I'll definitely be making again!

I'll post some pics later... 

jiggerjams

Thanks for the update EC. Looking forward to the pics. Hmmm now to combat the cheddar smokie.

cobra6223

EC, this is to funny !! the first time I made brats I did 5# fresh ones and 7# cheddy brats , I used a Hi Mountain kit from Cabela's and just added some cheese the first time, did I say FIRST time cause my aunt tried them so then I made her 12#, her son shared with my uncle so now tomorrow or Friday I have to make him 12# and after sharing I'm out so at some point I'll have to make myself another batch, never really thought of them as a smokie though, I guess cause mine were bigger around like a brat instead of long and skinny like the ones I remember, Glad to to hear everyone liked them . Tim